Photo

Hybrid bass spoon jigging rod blank

9 replies to this topic

#1 woodchip

woodchip
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

New member and first build, looking for recommendations for a 6' spinning rod blank for jigging hybrid bass using 1/2-1 oz lead spoons. I fish Greers Ferry lake in Arkansas which has vast amounts of submerged standing trees to contend with.

Thanks jimmy

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

One thing to keep in mind, is that a blank does notknow what it is going to be used for. It is basically nothing more than a tube or rod. 6' with those specs might be a fairly tall order, I woul look for something 6'6" to 7' in one of the mag bass blanks to build it on.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 woodchip

woodchip
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Goduster @ Jul 23 2013, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing to keep in mind, is that a blank does notknow what it is going to be used for. It is basically nothing more than a tube or rod. 6' with those specs might be a fairly tall order, I woul look for something 6'6" to 7' in one of the mag bass blanks to build it on.

The shortness of the rod is important as we jig vertically 35' in 45'-80' of water using the finder to hone in. I like to keep the spoon right under the transponder, wear the hybrids and walleye out. I had a shimano rod that I stole from my dad, best jigging rod I had, now on the bottom of the lake thanks to my dog. I'm trying to replicate that rod -6' med/fast kinda stiff. Might had been fiberglass, cant remember.

Jimmy

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

check the calstar 195 series and the seeker sbc607

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 woodchip

woodchip
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (Goduster @ Jul 23 2013, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
check the calstar 195 series and the seeker sbc607

Thanks

#6 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

The PacBay Rainforest II,RF2C724 or the RF2MBC784 and trim a few inches off the back. Both are good. The 723 and 783 would be my choice for wipers first but you're down 35 feet and you want a quick snap of the spoon and you need a beefy rod.

Randy

#7 woodchip

woodchip
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks, i will check those out.

Jimmy

#8 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

Lamiglas made a 6 ft blank that may be perfect for your purpose. It was built both in a casting version with just a bit stiffer tip and backbone and a spinning version. Rated 6 to 17 lbs in both versions, It was built as a jigging rod for walleye by Lamiglas for the west where heavier jig weights, 1/2 oz and larger, are the norm. but it also pulled spinner rigs, bottom bouncers and many other presentations. I once caught a 25 lb. Chinook salmon while pulling a bottom bouncer/spinner/ worm rig on the Columbia River, the blank had more than enough power. It was listed both as the XC or XS 72 ML or the XC/XS 60 1F.
The only surviving version now is a 6 ft. 6 in. version, but if you call Lamiglas to find out, I bet shortening the butt will give you very similar action/power to the 6 ft blank, it works that way on many of their blanks and doesn't necessarily remove the warranty. I have 1 or 2 of the 6 ft XC casting blanks still in my stash of blanks, and I built either spinning or casting versions on the same XC blank.
One thing I forgot to mention, the blank as a casting rod in either the 6 ft or 6 ft 6 in version also made a nice SMB/LMB rod and really shined as a rod to teach others how to use a casting reel, the action of the blank really makes casting accurate and easy to handle while learning. The blank will handle many presentations in both treble hooks or single hooks well, I use 10-12 lb line while fishing this blank.
Skeeter Reese used a very similar action/power 7 1/2 ft. telescoping rod built by Lamiglas for Hopkins spoons, etc. It was rated 8 to 20 lb.

#9 woodchip

woodchip
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Washougal @ Jul 28 2013, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lamiglas made a 6 ft blank that may be perfect for your purpose. It was built both in a casting version with just a bit stiffer tip and backbone and a spinning version. Rated 6 to 17 lbs in both versions, It was built as a jigging rod for walleye by Lamiglas for the west where heavier jig weights, 1/2 oz and larger, are the norm. but it also pulled spinner rigs, bottom bouncers and many other presentations. I once caught a 25 lb. Chinook salmon while pulling a bottom bouncer/spinner/ worm rig on the Columbia River, the blank had more than enough power. It was listed both as the XC or XS 72 ML or the XC/XS 60 1F.
The only surviving version now is a 6 ft. 6 in. version, but if you call Lamiglas to find out, I bet shortening the butt will give you very similar action/power to the 6 ft blank, it works that way on many of their blanks and doesn't necessarily remove the warranty. I have 1 or 2 of the 6 ft XC casting blanks still in my stash of blanks, and I built either spinning or casting versions on the same XC blank.
One thing I forgot to mention, the blank as a casting rod in either the 6 ft or 6 ft 6 in version also made a nice SMB/LMB rod and really shined as a rod to teach others how to use a casting reel, the action of the blank really makes casting accurate and easy to handle while learning. The blank will handle many presentations in both treble hooks or single hooks well, I use 10-12 lb line while fishing this blank.
Skeeter Reese used a very similar action/power 7 1/2 ft. telescoping rod built by Lamiglas for Hopkins spoons, etc. It was rated 8 to 20 lb.

I found that Lamiglas has a TXC72-1ML 6', 8-17 lb, listed as a Tri Flex Graphic Inshore. Is this correct?

Best Jimmy

#10 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

Get with the people at Lamiglas, I bet they can help you. Looking at the specs and seeing the blank was developed to throw bucktails to stripers, flukes, and blues makes me believe you may have found a good blank for your purposes.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users