Photo

Favourite epoxies for light rods??

6 replies to this topic

#1 Darrin

Darrin
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:02 AM

What do you guys use as epoxies for your light rods(4 weight and under) ????
Building a 3 weight soon and am contemplating using a different epoxy than what I normally use,-Flex coat hi-build. I'd rather not use something that requires too many coats as the rod is a 5 piecer so while I may stick with Hi-Build and just apply sparingly am still considering others.
Thanks

#2 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 07:17 PM

Hi Darrin,

It sounds like you're asking about wrap finish, and not the epoxy to glue things together, correct? In this case I'd suggest using the Lite version of Flex-coat since you are used to the high-build formula. You can usually get a smooth finish with 2 coats that will be just thick enough to cover the wraps, but will not overload the tip section with gobs of finish.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#3 Darrin

Darrin
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:52 PM

Yeah you're right,I meant the wrap finish.I use rod-bond for putting together the seat,cork etc.
Thanks for the "lite" rec.

#4 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

You bet!

On a similar note, I'm heading to the art supply store today to pick up some acetone which can be used to thin Flex-coat even more - all the way to the consistency of water I hear. I'm going to try and do some transparent wraps using silk thread and thinned down flex-coat and see how they turn out.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#5 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:56 PM

That sounds interesting Carl. Make sure you report on how that works!
World champion midget car driver

#6 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:15 PM

After trying four different finishes, I've settled on U-40 PermaGloss. It takes a few coats to build it up, but it's nice and thin so you can stop whenever the finish gets to the desired thickness. I used this on my 5- and 6-weight rods and am going to be using it later this week when I refinish the 3-wt. that I stripped (made that one with Flex-Coat and the build was too thick; I could've done a better job if I'd had more experience under my belt at the time, as it was my 2nd rod project). I've used the U-40 product with and without CP and find that it works equally well.

#7 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:46 AM

An update on the Flex Coat experiment -

I mixed some acetone 50/50 with some Flex Coat Lite (2cc resin, 2cc hardener, 4cc acetone) and mixed it thoroughly. The wraps I was testing on were white gossimer silk, and after applying the mixture, they did as they were supposed to and turned perfectly clear. The wraps dried in about the same time as FlexCoat usually does, but the stuff left in the cup took 3 days to harden up. I can only assume because it took so long for the acetone to evaporate. It did harden though. The now transparent wraps would definitely need some more finish to smooth out the silk wraps as the FlexCoat/Acetone mix was so thin that it didn't build at all.

Bottom line is, if you want to get really transparent wraps, of any color, mixing acetone with FlexCoat is an option to pursue. Or, if your goal is to get a really thin coat of finish on your wraps, whether it be for slowly building up the finish in coats, or doing a thin overcoat of a finished rod, a mixture of FlexCoat and acetone is just the ticket. A 50/50 blend is quite watery, so a 70/30 or so might be good middle ground.

Kingfisher - I haven't tried U40 yet, but I have some on the way!

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users