Photo

A new wrap for me.

2 replies to this topic

#1 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:16 PM

I find myself doing the same types of wraps over and over again. Most are solid color, tipped in a different color (or a matching metallic thread). Or, I will do a single- or double-twist in a metallic or contrastiing color, which gives an attractive, if subdued, look. This is an example of how most of my rods are wrapped:
user posted image

I usually put a matching 'ruler' wrap or two on the butt section at 16", 20", 24" or whatever:
user posted image

Several weeks ago, a friend asked me to do a rod for him that had dark blue wraps, gold tip on gold guides. I tied up a normal blue w/ gold tipping on a couple of the guides and it looked way too LOUD for my tastes. Knowing that he would want the rod to stand out a bit more than just a couple of gold spiral wraps inside the blue wraps, I decided to put the tipping on the inside, or guide side, of the wraps. It ended up looking surprisingly good!
user posted image

It makes it look sort of like the guides are continuous around the blank. Since I didn't tip the metallic thread as a separate wrap, I was able to do 4,3 or 2 turns (depending upon the guide size - I matched the gauge of the guide wire to the number of metallic wraps) and still have it be very secure. In my experience, metallic thread is notoriously difficult to make small independent wraps with, because as soon as it gets wet with color preserver or finish, it loosens up and will often completely unwind. Here is a second rod I tied up this way with silver guides (before finish was applied):
user posted image

If anyone is interested in the techique I used to do the wraps I'd be happy to post it. It's not difficult, but I did have 2 staggered tie-off loops and 3 tag ends at the end to trim, so it did take a bit of a touch to get it just right.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:32 PM

Carl,

First wanted to say welcome to the forum we are glad you found us. I would also like to add that those rods look awesome to say the least! You certainly know your stuff and I hope you come around often and share some of your knowledge with us.
World champion midget car driver

#3 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:34 AM

Thanks SmallieHunter, I appreciate the flattery wink.gif

I am currently helping a friend put together his first rod, which is always great to see. Plus, it's nice to 'talk shop' with others who are experienced in building thier own.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users