Photo

Thread Question...

4 replies to this topic

#1 northern_outdoorsman

northern_outdoorsman
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:54 PM

Ok I didn't learn this in class...I am building an 8wt 9 foot 6 inch Flyrod and I need to order thread...How do the thread sizes work?

I am looking at HT Metallic Thread and they have size "A" and size "D"...

THANKS!

#2 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:53 AM

Size A will be the smallest in diameter and size D will be the largest
I would not recommend Metallic Thread for the main wrap only the trimming wraps

OSD.

#3 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:00 PM

I would stick with size A thread. It is just a little more difficult to work with, as the thread is easier to break, but it makes the wraps look tighter and more fine. If I was building a halibut rod, or some other very large rod, I'd probably go with D, otherwise I will stick with size A for nylon thread. You probably used A in your class.

I had a friend who used metallic blue thread for the main wraps on a rod. They seem to have held fine once completed, although they loosened up a bit when they got wet with finish. You can see his rod from a half-mile away flashing in the sunshine! bugeyes.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#4 northern_outdoorsman

northern_outdoorsman
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:49 PM

Ok I don't wanna have a "Flashy" Rod...LOL!

I am ordering from Mudhole... What brand/kind of thread do you recomend for a 8wt 9' 6" ? THANKS!>>>>>Don

#5 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:21 PM

I usually get the standard Gudebrod size A nylon thread. I don't use the NCP because I almost always brush on my own color preserver as it seals and protects the tread as I'm working (see Wrapping Guides thread below for explanation).

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users