Photo

Anybody ever make wooden butt caps?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

A friend of mine has asked me to build him a center pin rod for fishing in the Great Lake Tribs and I'm contemplating building the same thing for myself.. Lots of builders seem to use size 8 guides all the way up to the tip to combat ice forming on the guides which causes the rods to be tip heavy. In order to combat that I am going to try to use an aluminum skeletonized reel seat and have some wood on the butt to match the reel seat. I would like to do something along the lines of the following picture but I'm not sure how to go about it. I would have to have some rubberized cork on the end because half the time fishing for steelhead is spent cursing at the ice accumulating on your guides--with a 10-16 foot rod you have to put the butt down to fix that situation and I wouldn't want the wood to get messed up.

Should I drill all the way through the butt cap with a diameter matching the blank and glue a rubberized piece of cork onto the end and shape to size after I finish the butt cap? I'm assuming I'll have to keep either end of the butts rough so it will adhere to the cork.

Will the same wood glue that I glue cork rings together with be sufficient?

I'm not sure the end result will be worth all of the hard work..

DavisCPIN052.jpg?fit=1220%2C608

DavisCPIN007.jpg?fit=1220%2C608

This rod was built by Laurel Ridge, he has some pretty kick ass work.. definitely worth taking a look at.

I have never fished center pin, I usually fish the same tribs with a 7 weight. Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:19 AM

The work looks good , should fish well , an make the person happy to own it as well as fish it , 

#3 shfishinsticks

shfishinsticks
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

When I glue rubberized to wood or acrylic, I use RodBond. If I'm gluing it to cork or burl, I use my normal cork glue.....TiteBond III.

I knew who built that rod before I even finished reading your post. Adam has a distinct style that makes his grips very recognizable.

#4 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

I'm a fan..

Trying to figure out how to turn the wood with the rubberized butt on the end is making my head spin too.. When I do it with cork I usually just stick it to the end of a wooden dowel but I obviously can't do that with wood, it will spin when I try to shape it with a skew.

The butt diamater of the rod is probably going to be about half an inch.

#5 shfishinsticks

shfishinsticks
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

I have threaded mandrels I use to hold it tight.

#6 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

Would a half inch mandrel from Home Depot and two nuts on either end suffice? How would I mount that on a late?

#7 shfishinsticks

shfishinsticks
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

No. All-thread is not suitable for lathe work. Many use it, but I don't think it's safe. I don't know who is making threaded mandrels anymore. I got mine years ago.

#8 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

I have used all-thread on a lathe for years.  Two nuts jammed on one side, rubber (or plastic) tubing, object to be turned, rubber tubing, and a nut on the other side.  The tubing holds through compression.  If you are concerned about the single nut winding loose, use a another to jam it.

The all-thread goes in a lathe chuck on the driven side and the other end can be supported by a dead center if the all-thread has a centered hole drilled in it.  Otherwise, a tailstock rotating chuck (like this https://www.micromar...2-Inch-Capacity) works well.

Tim

#9 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:19 AM

So I picked up a cocobolo blank 1.5x1.48x12, of course the one I liked wasn't perfectly squareed, it should be fun seeing how that spins on the lathe..

My plan is to throw it in the lathe and drill into either side of the blank to meet in the middle, using as much of the blank as my 1/2 inch Brad point will allow me to.. The blank doesn't taper much up the butt of the rod, probably a tenth of an inch at most so I think I'll be okay making masking tape bushings and loading the blank up with epoxy when I get to that point.

I'll turn the blank on a piece of .50 all thread with a nut and rubber washer on either end to hold it in place..

After that, I'll fit cork rings to the rod and glue those to the wood.. attempt to line that up to the wooden section of the handle to the best of my ability and mount that to a thinner metal mandrel, likely with more masking tape bushings to turn the cork down and coat everything in truoil.

I can't imagine a way where I would be able drill through a 12" section of wood as much as I would like to make the entire handle from the butt to the reel seat as my lathe probably isn't big enough and I can't find a drill bit that long.. maybe I can start it on my lathe and use a forstner bit and extension in my cheap drill press to finish it off.

Again, having some hard time figuring out a way to close the butt with a solid rubberized ring, so I'll really like to devise a way to make button shaped piece of cocobolo to plug the end up and kind of make a recessed butt plug. I'm thinking about gluing a piece to a cheap wooden dowel and tapering the wooden dowel but I don't know if totebond 3 will hold when I'm sharing it. Hopefully I don't lose an eye.

My concerns are drilling from either end and actually managing to meet in the middle and finding a way to be able to get said "button" to stick to the rubberized cork.

When I finally get everything together, if all goes well I'll be sure to post pictures of the process.

I'd also like to put a half inch of the wood into the handle in front of the reel seat as an accent to make everything flow better but I don't know how I could turn the wood down when it has cork on either side.. maybe I could turn the wood ring down and then glue it into the cork and shape the cork to the diamater of the wood ring.. but then I'll have a problem if the wood isn't perfectly center.

#10 Spiel

Spiel
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

I turn wood seats and butt caps for most every rod I build.
If you have FB, reach out to me for help via PM.  (spiel rodman).

24313064_170523553542959_205271842029953

23334281_163847124210602_412014493128585

23415255_164204520841529_464135311426610

24774802_170505296878118_673784493023750

#11 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

wow, those are quite the builds.

I appreciate the response and you sharing your work!

Unfortunately I don't have facebook..

#12 Spiel

Spiel
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:39 PM

wow, those are quite the builds.

I appreciate the response and you sharing your work!

Unfortunately I don't have facebook..

Thank you kind Sir.
You can reach out to me here via PM if you wish, I'll help in anyway I can.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users