Butt on DIY Winston Super 10

Grips and Reel Seats

4 replies to this topic

#1 Patuxent

Patuxent
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

I am preparing to build on a 5 weight Winston Boron IIIx Super 10 blank. I would like to include a short fighting butt as one finds on the factory rods. I have a downlocking reel seat (as on the factory rods), a Lemke 5, and I am wondering how to treat the interface between the butt and the cup or cylinder that receives the downfacing end of the reel foot. In the factory rod, this piece (of some unknown type) sinks completely into the butt.

The Lemke piece has a decorative "rope" element halfway down its length. Should I file this off and sink the piece completely? Or would it not be amateurish just to butt the bottom of this piece up against an uninlayed butt? Or should I inlay so that the roping forms a kind of winding check against the butt? I have to consider too that the factory fighting butt is 2" long, but mine is only 1." I can add cork material, but maybe the Lemke piece can provide the additional length.

In any case, I would need to drill a hole so that the blank could pass through the Lemke piece into the butt.

What do you think? And thanks a lot for your help.

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

You should have ordered an uplock with a finish ring instead of the down lock.  It will not work by trimming the cap. Who did you get the seat from?

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 Patuxent

Patuxent
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for your reply, Ron.

As you know, the factory Super 10 uses a downlocking reel seat. I read that the idea is to place the reel as far down the rod as possible. The butt adds weight and is a bracing point for high-stick nymphing. I guess it also keeps the reel of the pavement in the parking lot. Anyway, I want the downlocking configuration for this build. I even wonder if Winston's solution is simply to notch the butt using the decorative nickle-silver washer as a retainer for the reel. If I went this route, of course, the cap becomes a leftover part. I would appreciate knowing what you would do if a customer asked you for a downlocking configuration. Would you even use a butt?

Thanks again.

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

We do offer a cap for that configuration, but it is only available in the brite nickel configuration. Or I would take an up lock with a finish ring turn it upside down, and recess the hidden hood into the fighting butt. With the size of the reel for that, I don't think that a 1" butt is going to do much to protect the reel from the ground

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 Patuxent

Patuxent
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Thanks, Ron. You've given some things to think about.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users