A project for the cabin

9 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

I've been spending more time doing outside stuff and projects around the house rather than spending so much time on the computer so one thing I undertook over the weekend is something that has been needing to be done for awhile now. We have had a sign out in front of our cabin for the 25+yrs we have owned it and these past few years it has been really showing it's age. So I decided to make a new one before I head up there for vacation shortly.

I'm also going to make a new post(yardarm style) to hold it and cement into the ground when I get up there so once I do the name will hang under the arm and the trout will mount on top of the arm.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#2 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

Cool! What size and color thread are you wrapping the post with?
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#3 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

A good coat or 2 of marine grade spar varnish may be in order.

#4 wjensen

wjensen
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Beautiful sign, very impressive work. I bet it'll look great.

#5 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

Pretty cool, now you just need me to come out ther and help you install it. Unofficial yesterday here, 120 degrees, airport official 114

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#6 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (Goduster @ Jun 28 2011, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty cool, now you just need me to come out ther and help you install it. Unofficial yesterday here, 120 degrees, airport official 114

Very nice, Steve.
Ron, up here it's still Spring, runoff is just peaking. It'll be August before we're floating. If you need to cool off, c'mon up.

#7 Infinity Rod Creations

Infinity Rod Creations
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

Steve-

Sweet! I can't wait until we've got a building structure to mount something like that to. Won't be long, but the wait is killing me. When we took ownership of some ANF property last March, the first thing I did was build a post marker. Using 5/4 decking, a buddy of mine CNC'ed the design and I spaced the planks off the 4"X4" post. On the very top I fastened a solar yard light. The post has become our beacon to good times and trout camping fun. As a side note, all materials where reclaimed from donations through Craig's list too!

"My drifts are so distant, I dial a 1 + (area code) when setting the hook!"

Handcrafted Float, Fly, Switch and Spey Fishing Rods
http://www.infinityrodcreations.com

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (OSD @ Jun 28 2011, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A good coat or 2 of marine grade spar varnish may be in order.

Yep already on there. Did three heavy coats of a urethane clear on the name plates so that should get me through the next few year till it needs recoating. Still have to coat the top "fish part" of the sign but I'll do that this weekend.

DJ that's a cool looking sign I like the CNC work on it clapping.gif

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#9 dmsirovica

dmsirovica
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

impressive signs everyone. I cant wait to have a spot to hang my own sign

#10 TommieEliason

TommieEliason
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (Infinity Rod Creations @ Jun 29 2011, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve-

Sweet! I can't wait until we've got a building structure to mount something like that to. Won't be long, but the wait is killing me. When we took ownership of some ANF property last March, the first thing I did was build a post marker. Using 5/4 decking, a buddy of mine CNC'ed the design and I spaced the planks off the 4"X4" post. On the very top I fastened a
solar panel. The post has become our beacon to good times and trout camping fun. As a side note, all materials where reclaimed from donations through Craig's list too!

it is real fun out there..There is plenty to learn and enjoy.. I would to plan similar stuff and have some camping fun:)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users