Photo

reel seat size for my blank... first build

7 replies to this topic

#1 WhataBasshole!

WhataBasshole!
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

i got a blank that i would like to build and im in the gathering parts phase. this is my first build and im making a st criox 7' 2pc med action with a fast tip for a spinning reel. of course as soon as i sit down to write the exact model escapes me (2sc70mf2 i believe) but it'll basically be for 1/4-5/8 oz and im trying to find an appropiate size reel seat. i see a few different sizes but i dont know which will work. will a #16 or an 18 be too small or large? i dont have the specific reel in mind yet but i do know my aim is bass fishing along with northern pike and crappie. pretty much inland lake fishing for lower penninsula michigan.

#2 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Don't build a lot of conventional rods but a size 16 should be the correct size. I mostly wanted to chime in about the reel foot size. Some brands are larger than others. I had to switch out a 16 to an 18 on my wifes steelhead rod because the "color" reel she wanted would not fit. Don't want to name names but watch the Pfl****s.

Mike

#3 LeMoutch

LeMoutch
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

in that power range, you'll probably be using a 2500 reel, and most is not all will go perfectly with a 16 seat.
actually, 16/17/18 is more a question of fitting your hand. pick the diameter you're more comfortable with

If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies.

http://www.lemouching.com
http://g0nefishin9.wordpress.com/

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

On that blank I would be using a 16

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Hi Wayne, welcome to the site. How's business??

Anyway, I would try a #16 or even the #18 seat. For your first rod, I would just build that rod the conventional way but after you get a few rods under your belt, I would steer you towards some better blanks. I know you're in the business already, so you would naturally look at the St.Croix but check out the Batson RX8 and check out the 822.5 blank. That might be more your style of fishing.

When you're ready to build that rod, come back and ask for instructions/directions on guides choices. We'll set you up with the right ones to use. We will use the 27X method or the microwave set-up. Either way, you'll be happy.

Randy

#6 WhataBasshole!

WhataBasshole!
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Good to know. I will look into baston rx8 for sure. Business is good at the bait shop if anyone is in the area we have deer bait and minnows.haha. I went with this blank because we got as part of a bulk purchase from another business that went under. As far as what brands are more reputable than others is still a mystery to me. This first rod is mainly to get one built to start to get an understanding of what I'm doing. The only thing I don't already have is a reel but I have those on the shelf at the store so I really wont have to spend anything on this build. I chose an 18 for this one and I actually found a kit with everything I need for the handle assembly. I found the guide placements and sizes too. Once I get this one together I'm going straight for a fly rod, maybe a 7 or 8 wt. (Steelheads). Thanks for the input y'all.

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

What roadking alluded to in his post. I have one of that brand and the foot is thicker than the other brands.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#8 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

#16 reelseats are to small for anything but a flyrod, the diameter is to small to be comfortable in a adults hand all day. There has never been a G Loomis rod built with a 16mm reel seat and even an ultralight St Croix rod has a 17mm reelseat. I never use less than an 18mm reel seat on my personal rods and I have small hands.
The Wiebe or Super Sticker reelseats that have been so popular over the years on G Loomis rods are just a bit over 1 inch in diameter which is much closer to the OD of a 20 mm seat, the difference is that a standard 20mm seat is very long and won't always cinch down on all spinning reel feet. The seat used by Loomis and the new Edge rods is built shorter to fit.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users