Photo

Spinning rod guide sizing

7 replies to this topic

#1 roaring creek

roaring creek
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

In preparing to build a spinning rod on a fly rod blank, I'm trying to figure out what size spinning guides I should be using. I've settled on a 9' blank, either 6-wt. or 7-wt. Guide spacing is probably the same as it would be for a fly rod, no? Can someone give me a list of how many guides and of what sizes I'm going to need, or else point me in the direction of a credible source on-line? TIA...

RC

#2 Rock Hopper

Rock Hopper
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

While the following links won't give you the exact number or size guides needed, if you take the time to read them you will have a very strong foundation from which to choose and align the guides as best you can for the particular blank in question. thumbsup.gif

THE NEW GUIDE CONCEPT PRIMER

STATIC GUIDE PLACEMENT

THE THE FORHAN LOCKING WRAP

#3 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

For a 9ft spinning rod G.Loomis recommends this spacing and guide size:
Top-4"(7mm)-9"(8mm)-16"(8mm)-25"(10mm)-36"(12mm)-48"(16mm)-60 1/2"(20mm)- 74"(25mm)

If your using a long handle they recommend:
Top-4"(8mm)-9"(8mm)-15"(8mm)-22"(10mm)-30"(12mm)- 39 1/2"(16mm) -51"(20mm)-66"(25mm)

I've used a spinning reel on a regular 9ft fly rod and it casts fine too.

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#4 roaring creek

roaring creek
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

Thanks Guys, I went onto St. Croix's website and am using the guide spacing for their 9' steelhead rod. I ordered the guides this morning and should have them early next week to begin building.

#5 Rock Hopper

Rock Hopper
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

Well I tried, hope it works out well for you. smile.gif

#6 Ralph Jones

Ralph Jones
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

Rock Hopper is correct about those three articles. They'll give you a headstart on building the Best rod you can build. Any placement chart can only get the guides close to the best positions on any blank. Even Carlin with his excellent guide spacing program bends the blank to adjust the guide positioning before wrapping and finishing the rod. Even two otherwise identical blanks will flex a tiny bit differently, needing static guide placement to place the guides in the best positions for optimum performance. The diameter of the but guide should be about half the diameter of the reel spool on a spinning rod. A bigger butt guide is unnesessary and adds unneeded weight. You can make a decently performing rod with a chart. This is good enough for an assembly line rod but not a top of the line custom rod, IMO. Read the three articles Rock Hopper offered you and you can really build the Best rod you can build from a performance standpoint. Do your best with no shortcuts. Ralph
If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try,try again.

#7 beginning rod builder

beginning rod builder
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Rock Hopper @ Jun 22 2006, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While the following links won't give you the exact number or size guides needed, if you take the time to read them you will have a very strong foundation from which to choose and align the guides as best you can for the particular blank in question. thumbsup.gif

THE NEW GUIDE CONCEPT PRIMER

STATIC GUIDE PLACEMENT

THE THE FORHAN LOCKING WRAP

Bare with me I'm trying to build my first rod...Guides are measured two ways? Ring size and height?

#8 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'm getting ready to quote a guy on a fly rod conversion. How do you determine the position of the reel seat from the last guide? That is my biggest question for non-fly rods. Fly rods are easy- stick it on the end and go from there.
Many thanks for the info here- makes things easier.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users