Photo

Grip sanding

3 replies to this topic

#1 Novadoc

Novadoc
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

Last year I built a custom 3wt rod, it was my first project and I ended up making the grip a little on the thick side.

Does anyone have any suggestions for sanding it down to a standard half wells profile now that the butt section is assembled? I love this rod so i would prefer not to break something haha

#2 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Assuming you have a power wrapper, I would consider putting it back in the chuck, turn the switch to wrap, hit the pedal and use a strip of medium grade sandpaper and sand away!  Good luck.

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

If you don't have a power wrapper or a lathe or anything like that then it becomes a tad more nerve wracking but it can be done. If you can get the butt cap off with a heat gun then you can Jerry rig a mandrel out of anything you have handy such as a dowel with tape wrapped around it etc.. and insert it into the butt of the rod blank firmly. Then put the rod in your v blocks and use a drill to spin it while you sand. I have done this on a few rods in the past that already were built but needed the OD of the grip turned down some. It is not a lot of fun and you want to make sure you only spin it in the V blocks for a short period of time then give it a break (so the blank does not heat up in the v blocks) but after a few times of doing that it will sand down enough.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#4 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

With care and patience, you can sand down the grip by hand and without any power tool involvement.  Vince Marinaro did!  His method was, while sitting, to have the rod across his legs, roll it back and forth, and hold sandpaper against the turning grip.  You can also hold strips of sandpaper around the grip (not wrapped around), hold the grip where the sandpaper is not touching, and rotate both hands in opposite directions.  You can also combine the methods.  In any case, use calipers (or other such tool) to check that you are not making an oval.  If an oval starts to develop, sand the high spots off and go back to the rotation methods.

Tim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users