Photo

Fly rod blank with fly/spin reel seat & grip combo.

5 replies to this topic

#1 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Hi guys,

I have a very good friend who is an older gentleman who likes to fish for trout but he does not fly fish. He has fished his whole life with a spinning rod and he is not about to change his ways.

However, he has recently had some medical issues that makes him bound to a wheelchair. He has done pretty well with his rehab and is getting out to fish a little bit. Sometimes from a boat and sometimes from a wheelchair access at one of their local parts.

I would like to build him a fly rod that has a seat/grip combo that would be easy enough to use with a spinning reel. I'd also like for it to be able to accept a fly reel and be used as a fly rod. All of his fishing gear will be handed down to a grandson when he passes. The old guy is a Viet Nam war veteran and I'll incorporate that into the rod somehow. That will give him something to be proud of and will be a reminder to his young grandson of his grandfather.

Has anyone here made a setup similar to this?

I've thought of a couple things but nothing jumps out at me.

I've thought about just using sliding rings on a cork grip, but considering his motor skills, I think a locking reel seat would be best.

I've also never used a fly rod to throw jigs or small spinner baits with a spinning reel.

I am thinking of using a 9ft 6wt fly rod blank. Any thoughts on that?  Too light?  Too heavy?

Thanks for any input guys.

Brian

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

By far the easiest would be with the sliding rings. The one I built that is a 6wt I had an extra butt sections so I just used 1 as a spin set up and the other as a fly set up, and used the Microwave guides. It performs quite well for both tasks. With the low cost of some of the budget blanks out there, it is really quite feasable to build one like this, You can either keep the additional sections in the event of a possible breakage, or build them into a rod with just the remaining sections and a little shorter and more progressive. This one happens to be on a Matrix 5pc of which I had several that were purchased reasonably

LXavW9z.jpg

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Thanks Ron. Two butt sections would solve the problem.

I have a 906 blank, but I might look into getting something else....either two of the same blanks or one with an extra butt section.

Ron, what sort of lure weight will that 6wt throw?

Thanks for the input.

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

1/4 easily, 3/8 with a little finesse

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#5 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

Keep in mind also that a std fly seat will not properly accept a spin reel.  We now do have matching fly and spin seats available in limited colors to keep them looking basically the same

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#6 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Hey, guys, been off a long time but check the forum occasionally.  For a Vietnam veteran, use the gold and red colors that are for the VN service ribbon.  I think there would be some examples with a search on this forum.  Looks like the same crowd here.  Need to choose one of the regulars to tease or just downright insult.  ;)

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users