Photo

Payne 7' 6" 3/1 4 wt.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Bowbiker

Bowbiker
  • Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Here is a follow-up to my first experience with making a Bamboo Rod, from culm to BAMBOO ROD SHOWCASE.

The beginnings of this rod started a couple of years ago when a couple of rodmakers from Calgary brought in a shipment of Tonkin cane from China. One of the guys hadn't built a Bamboo rod before, and the other guy, Brent Nickerson had built a bunch of them.
Conor, who finally built his first Bamboo rod this summer, mentioned on a local flyfishing forum that he would sell one or two of the culms he had brought in.
I didn't know how I was going to do it, but I bought a culm from him the first week of August and was determined to somehow build a Bamboo Rod from scratch, after building four blanks from Chris Carlin and a couple from Angler's Roost.
A good friend, Nick Agnew, was supposed to go fishing with Brent Nickerson on August 20th, but he couldn't go due to a bit of a health issue. I was called in as a last minute replacement and sometime during the course of the day Brent offered to help me build a rod from scratch.

Here is that story:

http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=31885

And here is the rest of the story:
Dark Nickle Downlocking 660 Reel Seat and Standard Knurled Ferrules from Bellinger
Curcasian Walnut insert I turned and morticed myself
Dark Nickle Snakes from Snake Brand
Red Pearsall's Gossamer thread c/w a Black Two Turn Clove Hitch for tipping.
Dark Nickle Amber Agate Stripper from Struble
Cork from Matt Draft.
Rod tube and sock from Landmark Components.
My daughter did the inscription.

I really like the Knurled Ferrules from Bellinger!

Thanks for all the help from everyone, and thanks for looking,

Dick Seymour

#2 splinters

splinters
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

What a beauty, well done.

S.
No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn't work anyway.

#3 j_palmborg

j_palmborg
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Congrats on the first, looks great! Nice job on the wraps and the finish looks superb! Loved that photo story, really nice documentation and a fine rod to boot.

Cheers,
J

#4 Tigertrout

Tigertrout
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

clapping.gif
great job! I hope I can post my first one in one or two weeks!

karl

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users