4 replies to this topic

#1 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

I took a next step in rod building.

I built a bamboo rod from a blank.

It's based on the Paul H. Young Perfectionist taper.
It's a 7ft 6in rod for a 4 or 5 wt.

I got the blank in early November and have been working/waiting on getting this part or making this or that for finishing.

I wanted a different grip and I didn't have any good way of doing it myself.
I bought some cork rings from Matt (proofflyfishing.com) and I made a deal with Pete (Rod O Rama) to make me some grips.
Both of these guys were easy to deal with. Matt shipped the rings directly to Pete.
I sent Pete some sample pictures of grips and he sent me back some pics to see what I thought.
That was the smoothest part of the whole thing. Getting/waiting on other hardware wasn't as easy.

It's kind of a medium dark toned rod w/ nickel silver hardware, wrapped in red silk with black tipping.

I haven't even put a line through the guides yet. I'll try a DT4 and a WF5 and see what I like with it.
It should be perfect for those little Ozark streams.

#2 jimk

jimk
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

It's beautiful, I love the wraps and that reel seat is gorgeous.

#3 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Pen making and of course fly fishing

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hey mate., you've done a lovely job on that rod.

Perhaps and I know this is true..,, for your next rod spent the money on a set of forms not on the rod blank.
If you used the skill you have got into making a boo rod yourself then your rod will be 100% great!!

I made 5 rods last year and have 3 on the go now... one of them was a tiger flamed Sir d 7042 with a swelled but 7ft#4 and its absolutely incredible.
The job satisfaction is out of this world and caught many 5lb carp on this, grayling and trout in fast flowing rivers.,

WHAT A KICK..,, Yes plane it yourself its not so hard and the guys on gere are really kind in helping out.

Kindest regaqrds and well done again.

Chris from Yorkshire U.K. clapping.gif clapping.gif

Chris from Yorkshire U.K.

#4 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

I've often thought about making bamboo rods from the culm.

I have a garage.....full of junk. The door isn't tall enough to allow my truck to fit.

I've read some books on the subject and have done some research by combing the web.

I'd think maybe a class on rod building would be a good way to start out.
Hands on learning is a good way to learn. Sometimes trial and error can be just that.
Maybe collecting the tools I would need along the way. I have everything I need for finishing a rod, just nothing for making a blank.

#5 Canewrap

Canewrap
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Having time is the hardest part of making a blank. If you need some suggestions on how to get started PM me. Although, having someone experienced show you the ropes is a lot easier.
There's a rodmakers gathering in Mt. Home Arkansas in October of every year, if you want to wait until then. That bunch could show you everything you need to get started.

-Bill

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users