Photo

Saltwater casting rod

22 replies to this topic

#1 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Here is a rod that I just finished for a good friend of mine who lives in New Zealand. He already has a nice fly rod and as he does a lot of surf casting where he lives I thought a nice bamboo surf rod would be a fun thing to try and make. I used Max Satoh's DynaRod to help me design a 9' 3 piece rod that could handle lures from 1-4oz and this beast is the result. The rod has an interesting upsloping, parabolic style stress curve and goes from .105" at the tips to .435" at the butt. I used an especially heavy and dense culm so I didn't have to double build it (you can see the power fibers in the picture of the butt end). The grip wood is amboyna burl, the seat is an Amtak(?), the guides and tips are REC Recoil and the ferrules are titanium and were custom made for this rod by Mark Shamburg (size 16 and 22). The wraps were done in a maroon colored nylon size A finished with thinned FlexCoat followed by several coats of spar varnish. The entire rod was also finished in multiple coats of spar varnish. It is going to be very interesting to see how she works and I'm fortunate to be able to be there when he tests her in a couple weeks. banana.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

Carlin, as usual, your excellent craftsmanship is a goal to strive for in this business of rodbuilding. headbang.gif Today, one equates bamboo and fly rod. I recall the days when fiberglass was the newest in technology. Thanks for sharing this beautiful rod. I'm sure your Kiwi friend will get lots of enjoyment from it. clapping.gif

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 Darrin

Darrin
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

Great looking build as usual Chris . clapping.gif

#4 thierry

thierry
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

It's a beauty Carlin. shocking.gif
My land is hexagonal : France

#5 bamann345

bamann345
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

Man that is an awesome rod! clapping.gif

William

#6 Canebrake

Canebrake
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

That is one nice looking rod.

Looks like it belongs in an art museum.

Definitely has style.

Nice work Chris.

#7 friedrich

friedrich
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:09 AM

Nice wood and cane comibination Chris. Also like the modern looking reelseat with its wood insert thumbsup.gif
sorry for my poor english

visit my website

#8 drgoretex

drgoretex
  • Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

Wow! Gorgeous work, Carlin! Unique and beautiful.

Ken
"I'm a fisherman, not a doctor"

#9 7even seas

7even seas
  • Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

Beautiful rod!
Makes me want to try one of that in my Surfcasting here in Portugal.

Nuno

The more I learn, the less I believe in luck

www.7evenrods.com

#10 philrod

philrod
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Jan 28 2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a rod that I just finished for a good friend of mine who lives in New Zealand. He already has a nice fly rod and as he does a lot of surf casting where he lives I thought a nice bamboo surf rod would be a fun thing to try and make. I used Max Satoh's DynaRod to help me design a 9' 3 piece rod that could handle lures from 1-4oz and this beast is the result. The rod has an interesting upsloping, parabolic style stress curve and goes from .105" at the tips to .435" at the butt. I used an especially heavy and dense culm so I didn't have to double build it (you can see the power fibers in the picture of the butt end). The grip wood is amboyna burl, the seat is an Amtak(?), the guides and tips are REC Recoil and the ferrules are titanium and were custom made for this rod by Mark Shamburg (size 16 and 22). The wraps were done in a maroon colored nylon size A finished with thinned FlexCoat followed by several coats of spar varnish. The entire rod was also finished in multiple coats of spar varnish. It is going to be very interesting to see how she works and I'm fortunate to be able to be there when he tests her in a couple weeks. banana.gif

#11 philrod

philrod
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Jan 28 2010, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#12 hooligan

hooligan
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:48 AM

Chris, your work is remarkable, and that's an understatement! thumbsup.gif

John

#13 walldog

walldog
  • Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

shocking.gif

Caveat Lector: Always listen to advice but Think for yourself

#14 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

.105" at the tips?? shocking.gif Wowza....

A beautiful piece of work Chris. Love the way you turned the grip details. Marvelous choice of wood!! They look REALLY nice, man!

A fine looking piece of artwork!

Jeremy.

#15 philrod

philrod
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

A thing of beauty Chris

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users