Photo

Too to glue the cane together ??

4 replies to this topic

#1 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:00 PM

First off I am not a bamboo rod maker, I just have a question on on how it all works

I under stand about splitting the cane , how to get the cane to the correct size , an how to wrap an make a grip .,

what I would like to know is what type of glue is used to bind all the sections together . i unstamd about the thread/ string to bind it up, but I relay would like to know about the glue , can any one  help Please,  

Thanks for the help 

#2 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

Almost any waterproof (or nearly woterproof) glue has been and is being used.  You might do a search here:  http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/ .  Some examples would be epoxy, Titebond II and III, resorcinol, Unibond, and Gorilla Glue.

Tim

#3 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

I will check , THANKS    one question as you use the rod won't the glue  bound break on the glued strips ??

#4 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

A well-made cane rod will not break along the glue surfaces as long as the glue does not deteriorate.  Deterioration is not a problem with most modern glues.  Some of the glues used in the past (some hide and fish glues) can break down if the rod is not well-cared for.  Despite that, many rods made with those glues are still being fished without problems today.

Tim

#5 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the TIDBIT  Tim 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users