Photo

Varnish over Tru-Oil ?

4 replies to this topic

#1 searider

searider
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Anyone had experience in varnish over Tru-Oil ?    I use Tru-Oil as a finishing seal on y rods when I'm putting them together  but wonder if I can keep the option open to varnish......

#2 PENZZZ

PENZZZ
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

I use a product very similar to Tru-Oil (Pro Custom Oil) to create a hand rubbed finish on bamboo blanks. It is my only finish coat, as I do not dip after applying guides and finishing them with varnish. I don't have any adhesion problems with the varnish where it meets the Pro Custom Oil coated blank. I hope this addresses your question.

#3 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

Simply experiment.  Remove the enamel from a piece of a waste strip of cane, apply Tru-Oil, let dry, and try your varnish over it.  When dry, do a bit of testing to see how the varnish adheres and holds up.

Tim

#4 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

At the Carolina Cane Gathering last week, one of the builders, I don't recall which one, said that that was how he finished his rods.  Once the Tru-Oil has cured, it doesn't seem to matter if you add coats of Spar or whatever.  I agree with Tim, though, experiment. 

#5 troutcreek

troutcreek
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Yep, varnished over many rods that were coated with TruOil.    Testing is sound advice but I've had good luck with the process.

Often I mill several rods and finish them out as needed.  I put a coat or 2 of TruOil on the blanks to keep them sealed and clean. 

The rods are finished and dipped.  

Best regards,

Ray

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users