Wrapping Guides

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 03:17 PM

Once you have made your home made wrapping jig its time to take a look at the guide layout.
The chart that I posted in this rod building section is fairly accurate but by no means the last word in guide placement.
On the chart the guides are listed from the tip guide of the rod blank to the butt section.
Put your rod blank sections together and layout the guides using about a ľ inch piece of tape to mark each guide measurement.
The chart calls for 10 guides for the rod blank I am using also two stripper guides
With the largest stripper being at 75 ľ inches from the tip
(Which is guide 10 on the chart)
Put a small ľ wide strip of masking tape on each guide feet and position the guide at the measurement secure the guide on the blank with the tape also remember we are placing the guides on the spline of the rod blank so make sure the guide is accurately positioned.

Start the thread on the blank as shown in the picture by wrapping the thread over itís self
Once the thread is started and it has about 5 to 10 wraps over itís thread end you will be able to trim the thread end and once the thread gets over the guides food you will be able to remove the tape on that guides foot.
(Make sure to use good masking tape that donít leave a stick residue on your blank)
also the tension on your thread should enough to hold the guide in place but not too tight because we will need to tweak the guide once its wrapped.

user posted image

Once you have the guide foot almost completely wrapped insert a separate small loop of thread under the thread an continue to wrap until the guideís foot is covered

user posted image

Making sure to hold the thread when trimming (as not to have it unravel) clip the wrapping thread and thread it though the looped piece.
With this loop you pull the wrapped thread under itís self to finish the guide wrapping

user posted image

Trim tight to the wrap and repete the the same steps with the other guide's foot.

user posted image

This is what the guide wrap should look like with the trim bands of yellow added
( no color preserver or finish has been applied yet)

#2 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 05:33 PM

After wrapping the two strippers on the butt section of the fly rod I framed a spot just in front of the hook keeper to place the line designation and signature or model numbers.
I always write mine in since I am terrible with stickers
(I always rip them or get them folded)
I frame this area with another band of thread and finish over the area to protect the information.

Once you complete all the rapping on the butt section its time to tweak the guides into place.
Holding the rod section look down the blank using the reel seats hoods and the spline mark to alien the guides (they should be close) but some tweaking may be needed using your thumb tweak the guides into alignment with the spline and the reel seats hoods.

user posted image

#3 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:46 PM

Once the guides are tweaked into place and the first section of the rod is completely wrapped I seal the threads with Flex Coat Color Preserver & Sealer.
Two coats of this will be needed so I will apply one coat now and one coat when I complete the wrappings on the second section of the rod blank.
You must let the color completely dry before applying the second coat.

(Tip) Never apply to much color preserver on one coat and let them dry that way avoid letting the threads dry with a creamy coat (take excess off with a dry brush)

user posted image

#4 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 07:41 PM

Once your first section has color preserver & sealer applied to the threads you can start wrapping the second section (tip section)
Make sure to wrap all guides on the second section so that they are on the spline too.
Also wrap the female end of the ferrule with the same length of wrap that will equals the depth that the male end extends in the tip section.

user posted image

#5 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 01:44 PM

Once you have finished wrapping the tip section you need to install the tip or as some call it the (tip top)
You can use the epoxy to glue the tip on but make sure itís aliened properly before the epoxy sets up because once it dries it will be imposable to take it off and reposition it

user posted image
user posted image
I use glue called Tip Top and Ferule Cement it comes in a stick that you heat up with a
lighter to apply it that way if the tip needs to be replaced or reposition you just put a
flame under it and it will come off.
Make sure to also wrap the tip

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users