Photo

Payne #102 - Action

3 replies to this topic

#1 Oldstrom

Oldstrom
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

Rick Taupier describes one of his 8' 5wt tapers as being based on a Payne #102 and having something of a parabolic feel. I think the taper submitted by George Maurer might be like this with the number of compounds that show in the stress curve(not Dennis Higham's submission). What is the experience of any of you who have made #102 or cast one? I had always thought that Jim Payne's tapers were fast dry fly actions (except his parabolic series) and typically bending in the upper half to third.

Thank you,

Mark
Mark (AKA SecondHandWolf)

"
The purpose of myth is reconcile human consciousness with the reality that life feeds on life"
Joseph Campbell

#2 Jim Lowe

Jim Lowe
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

I don't know about the 102 but as far as Payne's actions being fast dry fly, I think that is probably the exception rather than the rule (ie. 98).

Payne made a statement once that his rods are designed to cast one line weight higher than most people think. If you keep this in mind, you'll find that Paynes tend to be softer in the butt and/or mids.

I've only just started making the Payne tapers but this what I'm finding when I cast the rod with the line weight it was designed for.
Jim Lowe
Hobbyist Rodsmith - High Country Fly Fisher

#3 Payne 102

Payne 102
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

I love the Payne 102. For me it is a full flex rod that handles a six weight line very well. It has delicacy and power. Mine was built by Art Thramer. Do others have another parabolic like rod they enjoy??? thanks, Payne 102

#4 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

I own a Payne 102 built by Jim Payne. A parabolic rod is one defined by a relatively stiff middle, and flexible tip and butt. In no way does the Payne 102 fit that category. I do not like using fast, medium, slow, para, non-para, or other typical terms to describe rod actions, but if forced to do so would call my 102 just barely faster than medium.

It's one of my favorite rods for dry fly fishing. I like it well enough that I have made 3-4 rods on the taper.

Harry
Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users