Flipping rod

5 replies to this topic

#1 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Bumping and Humping.

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

Is it posable to balence a flipping rod without using a ton of waight.

8 foot extra heavy

Glenn McMurrian

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

I have a Kunnan 7-6 ft. Flippin' stick (factory built) and it never occurred to me to balance it in any way.  I think, IMHO, that the weight of the reel would help to counterbalance the length/weight of the rod.  However, I will say that a custom rod would be a different story.  Is the rod for you or someone else?

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

With its purpose and varied lure usage, absolutely no reason to try and achieve a balance on a flipping rod

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

Ron, will file this away for future reference.  Thanks.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 Sticky

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

I disagree, I build a flipping stick some years back and didn't balance it properly and it's a bit tip heavy.  Since I primarily pitch I would have preferred a better balance to feel lighter while fishing, still like it but would like it more if it were neutral.

#6 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

If you pitch more than flip, build a pitching rod and don't look back. Building a long rod than complaining about the balance sets off my "REALLY" alarm, us old guys caught just as many fish on our nice light, better balanced and shorter rods. Surf anglers, salmon/steelhead, catfish, etc. anglers have been using all those nasty, heavy, unbalanced, and unfishable long rods forever and all have survived the ordeal just fine. You can't effectively mitigate this stuff, was tried before when this came up in the late 80's & early 90's,it's nothing new.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users