Transparent Wraps

82 replies to this topic

#31 Titusaduxas

Titusaduxas
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:24 PM

Hi Carlin

If a wrap can be made transparent does this mean that the wraps can be far from perfect ? If you cant see em you don't know if they are good or bad, right ??

Titus

#32 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

In a way, yes. You would still have to fill in the gaps with something or other to level the thread, but you definitely won't notice smaller flaws like a few loose or open wraps or a slightly protruding guide foot tip. wink.gif

Welcome to the forum Titus! Is that a pike in your avatar? If so, that is a monster! headbang.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#33 Converted

Converted
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

I'm restoring an old "cheap" boo that is going to be used as a wall hanger at a shop. This is the first boo I've worked on. I'm starting from scratch. This was a kit rod and was not built to well. I've stripped everything off and just attached the ferules. Before I go any further, do you think I could touch up the blanks with spray SU, wrap everything, then finish my wraps with flex coat similar to what you've done? Also, after your first wraps dry, how do you put the finishing coat of finish on? Do you dip the blank or just use a finish like flex coat and finish the wraps like you would on a graphite rod?
Converted

mend, mend, mend

#34 testwood

testwood
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:23 AM

Hi - Advice please. I have been given some U-40 LS Supreme Dura Gloss. The Resin R Compound has thickened up slightly such that I cannot draw it up into the measuring syringe. Firstly, should this have been kept in a fridge to prevent it thickening up,secondly is there any way to thin the resin without screwing it up.
This will be the first time I have used resin to cover the wraps.
Thanks

#35 brendantm130

brendantm130
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:37 AM

Someone told me that they heat it up in the microwave. I don't have one so I put the jar into some warm water. Worked great.
Brendan

#36 testwood

testwood
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:43 PM

Thanks - Heated it up in hot water and it thinned down great.

Thanks to the guys who got the forum up and running again

#37 Bastl

Bastl
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

Hi chris,

do you use 1,5cc Flexcoat A + 1,5cc Flexcoat B + 1,5cc Aceton or 3,00cc Aceton for the mixture?

When i made clear wraps with an decorated wrap with indian ink ( Tusche ) whats happend with the indian ink ...Blur it?

Many thanks rolleyes.gif

Bastl

#38 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

Hi Bastl,

1,5cc Flexcoat A + 1,5cc Flexcoat B + 1,5cc Aceton

Yes.

When i made clear wraps with an decorated wrap with indian ink ( Tusche ) whats happend with the indian ink ...Blur it?

I do not know. I have never used the Flexcoat mixture over indian ink. I would suggest trying a test wrap and see what happens. dunno.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#39 Bastl

Bastl
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

Hi Chris,

thanks for the fast info clapping.gif

I would olso test with indian ink.. than i would tell you!

>> Very nice homepage !!

Bastl

#40 Bastl

Bastl
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

Hi Chris,

your technik works wonderful... olso with indian ink thumbsup.gif

Thanks

Sebastian

#41 Xan

Xan
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

Help,

What happened to ten days after you apply the formula referred to Flexcoat have not yet dried rings wrappers?
Thanks.
X

#42 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

X,

When rod finish epoxies do not dry correctly, 99.9% of the time it is due to a mixing error. You must be very precise in measuring the resin and hardener. Mix thoroughly, for at least 120 seconds.

Harry
Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#43 Xan

Xan
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Harry,

this afternoon will try to be more precise with the mix and expand the mixing time. Suspected that the problem was there but perhaps also expect someone tells me a magic recipe.

#44 drgoretex

drgoretex
  • Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

Think this technique would work with white nylon thread? The nylon thread certainly seems to go pretty translucent with the finish.. dunno.gif

Ken
"I'm a fisherman, not a doctor"

#45 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

Ken,

I think others report using nylon with success. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but haven't used enough nylon in the last 12-15 years to know.

Harry
Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users