Photo

PMQ Poor mans quad

125 replies to this topic

#121 aparramoure

aparramoure
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

Is it my imagination or did you place the guides on a corner of the quad rather than on a flat?? Or is it just the photo??

Thanks in advance

#122 DarkstarCrashes

DarkstarCrashes
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

This is an amazing thread. I have enjoyed fishing bamboo for several years but could never afford planing forms to make my own. I have a finished pmq butt section ready to varnish and the tip section just needs final planing. It's pretty straight forward with the help of this thread. Thanks fellas. headbang.gif

#123 GrahamV

GrahamV
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hello been I've read through this topic a few times now and have got as far as spliting my bamboo, flaming, pressing the nodes and straightening the strips... the only problem I've got now is probably the most simplistic asked lol. I'm planing to use Paul Blakely's Lee Wulfe 5,10 Ultimate taper because I wanted to build a one piece rod. I used Hexrod to convert it in a quad and to recalulate the line wait from a 5# to a 4# but I'm confused about which figures to use for my finale planing diementions?

Cheers

Graham

#124 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

...having just finished another rod this past week, let me clarify a bit.

Each strip is 1/2 the final dimension thick (obviously), but is the full dimension wide. Two things. First, after roughing down the strip, to get the sides square, and most of the pith planed off, I then proceed to scrape off the enamel. I then finish planing, from the pith side, to the rough dimensions. This is before heat treating. Second, I leave the strips quite a bit wider than is needed. In the tip, my strips may be 4 or 5 times too wide when I glue them up. I do work the sides down some, as I don't want a 0.038" thick strip that is 0.625" wide. On butt sections, I often don't plane the sides, at the roughing stage, beyond getting them square.

I don't have your dimensions, but based on the Lee Wulff Ultimate that OSD posted back in 2009, the rough planed tip strips should be something like 0.036, 0.043, 0.051, 0.058, 0.065, 0.073, 0.081, 0.089 (in thickness).

Once glued together, you then plane and scrape the section down to final dimensions, which should be something like 0.068, 0.082, 0.097, 0.111, 0.125, 0.143, 0.158, 0.173.

Your numbers are probably a bit different, as all I did was a quick .95 conversion on the hex dimensions, but that should give you the idea.

I plane the sides to final dimensions first, and then plane/scrape the top and bottom. Be sure to try to take just about equal amounts of material from both sides, and sight down the section frequently to make sure you aren't gouging.

#125 GrahamV

GrahamV
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Brilliant thank you I thought it would be a long those lines I just wanted to make sure before I went any further haha sad.gif

#126 jfischer

jfischer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Well, PMQ's make the first contact with rodmaking. I just organized a workshop on building short PMQ's for 10 people most of witch have had no contact with planing and bamboo. Two tapers were used, a PHY and a Dickerson inspired quad. Both 7ft 2" long and I made my first carbon ferrules for those rods. Actually it turned out fine, and by the end of day two everyone had a nice blank, ferrule and grip/reel seat. This was a nice experience and my master rod which I made prior to the workshop was casting surprisingly good.
Petri Heil
Visit My Website

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users