Photo

Rod blanks???

15 replies to this topic

#1 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

What rod blanks do u like to build on for bass? What would be a high end blank that won't break the bank

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:42 PM

Waaaay  too many variables to that question.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 Dave-G.

Dave-G.
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:40 AM

Yep, you gotta narrow it down a bit. Start with what kind of bass category, Salt or fresh water ? Then what species bass, cause there is a huge difference in Sea Bass and Striper rods for instance ( sea bass mostly bottom feeders weighing under 8lb, stripes mid current or top water weighing upward of 35lb). The rod type,  fly rod, spinning , jigging, bait caster rod, and again salt or fresh water ? You must have a build cost ceiling that you are trying to stay below, I know I always do ?

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

Yes, be more specific.  I asked a young fellow who is going to college on a bass fishing scholarship what kind of rod he would like.  Bassers carry a number of rods for specific styles of fishing and artificial baits.  His reply was a 7 ft. crankbait rod.  I called Bingham Ent. ( a sponsor of the forum) and we figured out would be good for him.  It's on the bench as we speak.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

Large & Small mouth bass, spin jig, mag bass, jig, one piece, 6'8" 7'2" range

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

well, you've narrowed it down to under a hundred blank possibilities

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#7 B.T.

B.T.
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, still too many variables here..... But you could do a bit of shopping and research for MHX blanks.  A quality blank that won't bust a budget up.  Or look into the St. Croix SCII which you can't go wrong with the name and the SCII's are at a great price point right now with most suppliers.

B.T.

AF Disabled Vet & Rod Building Geek

#8 Dave-G.

Dave-G.
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

I have a 1 piece 7 ft St Croix I bought for jigging fresh water. I found the tip to be a bit stiff on that particular series and weight rod.. And not right for salmon trolling either, I lost more fish than I boated. But in salt for Schoolie striped bass up to keeper size and for jigging sea Bass it's phenominal. You feel every tap, every wiggle of the fish. It's a tustle on a barely keeper sized Striped bass though. I want to say minumum lure weight is 1/4 oz. That's the part that was my mistake in terms of fresh water use. Moral of the story: follow the specs of the blank you choose for your purpose. Know the lure weights you want to throw, and don't assume anything.

#9 BD1

BD1
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

What brand blanks does everyone use or like

#10 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

That is a very broad question- there is a whole sackful of variables plus whatever the customer wants.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#11 Dave-G.

Dave-G.
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

All over the place on brands around here. I was away from rod building for a long time, I can't believe how many variations there are available these days. mostly due to low overseas production costs bringing in affordable blank offerings.

Here are the suppliers I have used and like because they responded to my needs and are informative too.. Two are affiliated sponsors here. You might direct some questions to them. I can tell you that Karen at Bingham will research your needs and come up with a suitable blank for you.. Mudhole has a whole network in place. Netcraft someone answers the phone and can suggest inventory needs and what quantities are available as you speak with them.. And Stockhard has a nice line of Batson products. You can take it from there.

Bingham Enterprise ( sponsor)

Mudhole

J Stockhard (sponsor)

Jann's Netcraft

All of the above have served my needs in one capacity or another. Maybe if I get into building Lamiglass specific salt water distance casting rods I might find another better than the above but so far they serve my needs ( I mostly build flyrods)..

Edit: It's looking like you can scratch J Stockhard for rod blanks, they no longer list any at their web site.

#12 jdsmitty22

jdsmitty22
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

For the money I like st croix blanks

#13 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

You do realize that this post is almost a year old

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#14 Button53

Button53
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

I am about to try and build my first ever fly rod. Not really a creative person. I want to buy an inexpensive blank, in case I mess it up. Where is the best place to get one. This may be a through in the trash effort, but we'll see for a first try.

#15 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

I can put you a kit together if an 8' 5wt 4 pc would be acceptable for right at 70.00 shipped. Will include the blank and all components

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users