Photo

Inscription Mulligan? How many attempts?

5 replies to this topic

#1 campesino

campesino
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

I recently built-up a bright red fiberglass blank with black wraps and silver tipping for my daughter (her favorite color combination).  Everything was going pretty well including the elk antler tipped fenwick style grip with downlocking black Lemke reel seat until I got to the final step-- the inscription.  I struggled and struggled using a calligraphy pen and acrylic black artists' ink over a Fixative.  Uneven ink flow and writing looked like an 8 year olds' English assignment.  I kept rubbing it off with water and re-doing (maybe 4-5 times) and the finish on the rod started looking a little dark and hazy and so I did the best I could and sprayed the Fixative over it and then epoxy layers added.  Well, the epoxy didn't go much better with bubbles after bubbles-- now up to 4 coats patiently scrubbed off using a fingernail board and redone.  I did better with the Pro Kote, but the high-build Flex Coat (all I had left) was worse- even using a hair dryer on low, first spreading the finish on aluminum foil, etc.

My question is this:  I am thinking that maybe I should take this back down to the bare rod and try to redo the inscription.  I am afraid that I will rub off the red paint (?) I presume is on the blank.  This only happens to the rods that are really important for loved ones-- the others I can crank out pretty darn good the first time around.  What would you do?  I am mindful of the fact that perfect is the enemy of good, but I want it to be really nice.  I also don't want to ruin the blank and have to start over from scratch.

Thanks,

#2 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

I have no solution to a rod once the signature is really mucked up (other than a thread wrap, how about black thread and then silver or white ink)

1)Practice a lot on spare blank sections (beater rod from a garage sale, bic pens, ...) 

2) lay down a coat of thin epoxy or varnish and let that harden, then write on it.  It's softer than the blank so the ink flows a bit better.

3) give up and use labels.

4) just give up and don't mark your rod :-)

Oh, and make sure you let the ink dry well, then a coat or two of cp before coating again.  I've had ink lift off with epoxy, but permagloss really does a number on paint or ink.

#3 campesino

campesino
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the ideas- I had not thought of a thread wrap, may give that a try.

#4 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:01 AM

I don't think that I would try to get down to the bare blank. I think you are right about messing up the original finish of the blank.

It's pretty tough writing on a rod that is round....for me at least. I would struggle with a calligraphy pen and ink. 

I use the Pigma Micron pens for writing in black. They are much easier for me to control and they lay down a pretty nice line.

The pen tips also come in different thicknesses, depending on how fine a line you want to write.

Good luck on your project.

Brian

#5 CDone

CDone
  • Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

I don't think that I would try to get down to the bare blank. I think you are right about messing up the original finish of the blank.

It's pretty tough writing on a rod that is round....for me at least. I would struggle with a calligraphy pen and ink. 

I use the Pigma Micron pens for writing in black. They are much easier for me to control and they lay down a pretty nice line.

The pen tips also come in different thicknesses, depending on how fine a line you want to write.

Good luck on your project.

Brian

Hi Brian, can you finish directly over this ink or do you need to apply a fixative? Never even considered these pens.

and for the OP, I think a thread wrap with a coat of finish and then re-attempt the inscription, inscriptions are my weak point as well. 

Colin

#6 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

FWIW, I used gold or silver metallic pens when I did write which leaves a bit to be desired.  Now I have a label printer.  I only write on rods for family to give a personal touch and let them see how lousy my writing is.  My father said I should have been a doctor.  When I use a pen, I put down a layer of epoxy, write and I let the ink dry for a few minutes then I lightly coat with Krylon Fix-A-Tif.  After that is dry, another coat of epoxy is put down. 

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users