wrap winding check

7 replies to this topic

#1 brisen

brisen
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

Hi,

I have just finished the grip on a CTS Affinity X 9'6" #6 salt-water fly rod, and is about to attach the winding check (placed on a few wraps, to reduce any wear on the blank).

What is the rule of thumb for the length of the wrap in front of the winding check?

There will be no hook keeper on this rod, so it is only for the looks. Above this wrap, i'll put a small decal with the name on the blank, length, class, whick will be covered in TM Lite. 40 cm (about 15 3/4") from the butt, i'll place a small trim wrap, as this is the minimum length of sea trouts in Denmark. There will be about 4" between the wrap in front of the winding check, and the 40 cm trim wrap.

Looking forward to hear any advice :-)

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

It is whatever you or the customer wants.  There is not rule here- just whatever is requested or looks good.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 brisen

brisen
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

I know it is my decision :-)

But what do others typically do here?

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

Look at the Rod Showcase.  This will give you an idea of what others have done in the past.  There is a wide range of wrap designs shown there.  You realize you have committed to posting photos of your finished rod. ;)

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 shfishinsticks

shfishinsticks
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

I wrap a length approximately the blank diameter at that point.

#6 Cody

Cody
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

I usually make longer, 2.5 to 6 inch wraps at the butt if it is a casting rod with little or no fore grip, shorter if I have a fore grip.  On fly rods I like just a very short wrap, .5-1" similar to that on the stripper guides then a space for the label and another short wrap that matches it.  If I am using a hook keeper I usually put it at the forward wrap, just my preference unless requested otherwise.  But I don't think there is any general rule.  

I am sure it is better to have some sort of wrap at the butt to seal the seam between your grip/reel seat and the blank, but it can be whatever you want it to be.  IF you were building for another individual, I would just ask their opinion if you think they will have one.  With most of the rods I have built for others, they just say "I don't know, make it look good".

#7 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

I sometimes do not put a wrap in at all. I usually don't install a hook keeper, and so in that case the wraps are purely aesthetics in my builds.

#8 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

one of the reasons you see a wrap there is to fill the gap between the trim ring an the blank as not all rings fit tightly 

so there is a gap so we fill it with thread , no gap an it looks nice  with thread what else can we say 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users