Photo

Best glue for assembling reel seats?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

What do you chaps use for assembly glue on a wood insert/aluminium hardware fly reel seat?

I glued up an A7 with Flex-Coat Lite; now I wonder if I made the wrong choice.

(this is for a 4 wt., not a beefy Spey......)

"Oni byddi gryf, bydd gyfrwys...If you can't be strong, be cunning"

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Flex Coat lite is a finishing epoxy, not a bonding epoxy. Not suitabal at all for assembly purposes

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 ghoti

ghoti
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

Flex Coat Rodbuilders glue. A two part epoxy made just for the task.

#4 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

.Ron is correct in that a finishing epoxy is not a good choice for final assembly.  I've been using a two-part, fast-drying (5 minutes) epoxy from Loc-Tite for years with zero issues.  For reel seats, handles and even tip tops, it works great.  Your local hardware store will carry it or a similar brand but be sure that it is the fast drying version.  Good luck!

#5 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

As mentioned, the flex-coat light isn't really a glue but a finish or casting resin.  It probably won't hold, so hopefully it will be easy to get the reel seat off.  If it doesn't come of, then you were successful, right ? ;)

I waffle between using 5 minute epoxy and 30 minute epoxy.   I usually use 5 minute epoxy.  30 minute epoxy gives you more time to work, but it also gives the parts more time to come loose before it sets up.  Which ever you use, have plenty of paper towels and denatured alcohol for clean up.

#6 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

I'm one for using polyurethane glue. Never had one come loose. Let it foam up and when dry where the glue has foamed out, it peels off easily
“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

The Flex-Coat Lite was about half cured and fairly thick when I applied it to the reel seat parts.

After three days of curing time, I mounted a metal footed reel into the seat & 'quite vigorously' tightened it up as a test.

Nothing separated on the seat so maybe I'm out of the woods?

Thanks for the info gents - will abide your suggestions next time!

"Oni byddi gryf, bydd gyfrwys...If you can't be strong, be cunning"

#8 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

I think you definitely made it out of the woods.  Once it sets, it will hold as good as 5/30 minute epoxy.  You were lucky in that the parts apparently did not move during the long drying process.  We've all done something similar.  I have been at this awhile but on a recent rod, I mixed equal parts of epoxy but it never did set up.  Turned out I used equal parts of just part A.  I've since labeled my bottles with permanent markers to avoid this again.  Quite a messy clean-up!

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,491 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

I wouldn't say it is as good as anything such as epoxy by any means. Rod finish is a protective coating and does not have the strength of a true adhesive, plus as anyone that has had to strip a rod before knows all it takes is a little heat to soften it up.  It's not the end of the world though, if it comes apart just clean it and redo it with epoxy.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users