• 278 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

looking good carl!! thumbup.gif

#18 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:09 PM

Next we need to work on the nodes. In a whole culm, the nodes are the joints that you see from the outside. They are an intermix of fibers from above and below. Inside the hollow of the culm they create a 'dam' that helps strengthen the bamboo stalk.
user posted image

All of the nodes on our split strips look like the image below. We need to smooth and flatten these out before we proceed.
user posted image

For expediency's sake, rather than use a file to smooth the nodes, I prefer to use a belt sander mounted on its side outfitted with 120 grit paper.
user posted image

The pith, or inner, side of the node is flattened first.
user posted image

user posted image

I then, very, very carefully smooth out the enamel side. I take off just enough to remove most of the nodal hump. Most nodes will still require some flattening after they've been sanded flat.
user posted image

user posted image

Once finished, the node is fairly flat.
user posted image

A finished batch of strips ready for straightening!
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#19 Mark Shamburg

Mark Shamburg
  • Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:20 PM

Assuming a 2 tipped rod what do you do with all the extra pieces of cane from the lower half of the culm?

#20 karelgol

karelgol
  • Members
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, rod building

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:51 AM

Ehm, Chris, why not heat and press the nodes flat? Just curious, as this isn't the "Cattanach" rolleyes.gif way i suppose.

Karel

#21 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

This is fascinating, Chris, thanks.

You almost have me thinking that a mere mortal like myself could do this.

ALMOST sad.gif

Cheers!

Gary

(nice sander, BTW!)

Orvis ROCKS!

#22 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:32 PM

Assuming a 2 tipped rod what do you do with all the extra pieces of cane from the lower half of the culm?

They end up in the ever-growing pile in the corner of my garage! rolleyes.gif

why not heat and press the nodes flat?

Actually the sanding simply replaces the 'Planing Diaphragm Ridges' step in Cattanach's book. I'll be heat/vice pressing the nodes as well. thumbsup.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#23 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

Now I just use the belt sander to flatten the whole area around the node. I think that heating it up and crushing it in a vise would only make a weak spot weaker dunno.gif

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#24 matsoberg

matsoberg
  • Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:32 AM

I use a belt sander too. Saves me a bit of time, I think.

Actuallly after straightening, I use the sand belt again, to shape the splitted strip closer to 60 degees to make the rough planing easier/faster.

Is the enamel more easy to remove from the bamboo when itīs flamed, than if oven heat treated only?

// Mats

#25 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:35 PM

After sanding the nodes I find that some of them are still either bumpy or wavy enough to warrant some more work. Depending on the culm, somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 of the nodes will need extra straightening.

Here is a node that would take a lot of sanding to get flush and smooth. More than I would feel comfortable doing, so it is these types of nodes that I'll press. Also notice the path of the power fibers at the node before and after straightening.
user posted image

To straighten a node I hold the bent area over a heat gun for anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute, until it becomes slightly pliable. I'll then clamp it into a smooth jawed vice and leave it there for a minute or so to cool.
user posted image

Below is the node after heating and pressing. The charred portion is very shallow and will be beveled off in the next step.
user posted image

The other type of bend that needs work is a side-to-side twist as shown below:
user posted image

The same node in the vice after heating:
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#26 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:36 PM

Is the enamel more easy to remove from the bamboo when itīs flamed, than if oven heat treated only?

I think it is about the same either way Mats. Certainly not much difference if there is any. dunno.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#27 Toneloc

Toneloc
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

Just did some catching up on this thread...Great tutorial Chris...You seriously need to write a book.

Tony

#28 Sticky

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

Great stuff! This will most certainly help along my forthcoming journey!

A question about sanding, I have a 1" belt sander, are there any do nots concerning the direction of sanding? Do you have to sand along the length to avoid chipping?

#29 John DeVault

John DeVault
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:20 PM

Chris. Great job on the new tutorial. Even better and more informative than the last one. Perhaps you should start a bamboo school. John

#30 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:51 PM

With the nodes straightened it is time to rough the strips. The idea here is to get the strips to a rough 60* angle, and closer to the final dimensions so as to minimize the hand planing required during finishing.

The first step is to run the strips through a beveler which, after a number of passes, gives the strips their initial angles. For each section I stop beveling when they are approximately .040" over the maximum final strip diameter for each section.
user posted image

Once beveled the strips are arranged according to the color code we set up earlier, rolled up and bound.
user posted image

The strips are now ready for heat treating.
user posted image

For heat treating flamed rods, I usually do 12 minutes in a 375* oven flipping them end to end at the 6 minute mark. This removes the remaining moisture and further tempers the cane. When the strips come out of the oven they are quite floppy due to the heat and once cooled will be fairly straight.
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users