FTOTY Bamboo Rod 2004

100 replies to this topic

#16 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:25 PM

A pic of a beautiful rainbow layin next to a fine bamboo rod...does it get any better headbang.gif

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#17 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:27 PM

Well... It could be laying next to a 12 pack as well. rolleyes.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#18 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:17 PM

I just spent some time sorting through the chopsticks. The idea is to get similarly sized ones and match them up through what will be each strip. More importantly, when assembled, each strip must be long enough for a rod section, plus a little extra for safety, so I laid them out in the order that they will glued together in the strips. You also have to be careful that, when they are all glued together, the chopsticks that originally came from the lowest part of the culm are located lower on the rod section (which is where the color coding becomes important), and that they are aligned properly - that is, with their 'butts' toward the butt of the rod section.

For example, I painted the butt section of each chopstick with a color from the rainbow. The lowest on the culm was Red then Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet and finally black (ROY G BIV +black - I skip orange because it looks too much like red). When organizing, all I have to do is to be sure the colored end is always facing down.

Each strip on the butt section will be made up of 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green and 2 blue chopstick. The tip strips will be 2 indigo, 1 violet and 1 black chopstick.

Finally I mark each with a number from 1-6 that corresponds to which strip they will be a part of. You can see the hash marks on each strip in the picture below (the hash mark colors are not the same as the chopstick colors, just to make things more confusing!).
user posted image

Next we'll start breaking out the tools!!

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#19 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:46 PM

Before I get started on the splices, I have to sharpen the plane blades. I set the blade in a Veritas sharpening jig to an angle of around 35 degrees, and work the blade over 3-4 different grits of diamond stones.
user posted image

After the initial sharpening, I use an 8000 grit japanese waterstone preped with a Nagura stone. This will give the blade a mirror finish, and will be sharper than a razor's edge.
user posted image

It's important that the edge be clean and sharp!
user posted image

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#20 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:49 PM

Once all of the blades (3 total) have been sharpened and honed, I setup the block planes. I have 2 that I use. The first is a standard flat sole, and the other has a 1" x .003" groove milled into the sole which helps keep the blade from gouging the splicing block and forms.
user posted image

The splicing block holds the chopsticks so that when they are planed flush, there is a smooth 4 degree angle to the stick.
user posted image

I start with the flat sole plane and work down until there is about .015" of the chopstick remaining above the splicing block. I then switch to the grooved-sole plane and work until it's flush with the top of the block.
user posted image

user posted image

Once each of the strips have been angled, they are ready to be glued.
user posted image

I have to do this for each chopstick in the rod. Since there are 6 strips in each of the two sections, 5 chopsticks in each section of the butt and 4 in each of the tip, there is a total of 54 chopsticks and 84 splices that must be planed in this particular rod configuration. I'll be at this for a bit...

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#21 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:15 PM

I knew I had the right guy to help me with this section of the form. thumbsup.gif

#22 TimJ

TimJ
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:26 PM

This is an awesome thread Carl. I had no idea how you even start to make a bamboo rod. This is very interesting and the picture of the rainbow is pretty nice to.

Tim

#23 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:05 AM

Man that is some crazy stuff man. I knew making one would be difficult but that is pure madness shocking.gif
World champion midget car driver

#24 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:47 PM

Carl,
You are a true craftsman, and this is shaping up to be BY FAR the best step-by step process of making a bamboo rod. I'll be following this thread very closely and MIGHT be asking some questions. Is there a test after you are done? tongue.gif
Art

#25 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:14 PM

I was able to finish planing the splices on all the chopsticks this evening, so now it's time to start glueing them together to make the final strips.

I first organize them to match them up with their 'siblings' (all the 1s with the 1s, 2s with the 2s, etc.). I then sample fit and put aN alignment mark on each which helps me make sure that the splice will be even.
user posted image

Then it's a simple matter of spreading on some glue and clamping them together. The only tricky part is you need to be sure that the enamel, or top, of each of the strips is flush with the one that it is being glued to, and that the butt end of each chopstick is aligned towards the butt of the rod. This is another place where good color coding and organization pays off!
user posted image

Because I have a limited number of clamps, I have to do the glueing in 2 stages. However, since I am using Titebond III, I only have to keep things clamped for an hour or so. Later this evening I'll remove the clamps and finish with the glue up. Tomorrow we should have some nodeless strips that are ready for rough planing!!

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#26 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Tim! Thanks Art! Please feel free to ask any questions.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#27 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:51 PM

good lord, keeping the clamp business alive and well! lol. very interesting......

steve

#28 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:58 PM

Here is the tool list for the most recent building stage:

Adjustable mouth Block Plane(s) - Mine are Lie-Nielsen (one has a 'rodmaker's groove'), but a Record or Stanley 9 1/2 works as well. Just make sure you replace the blade with a Hock or other top-quality blade.
Sharpening stones - I use diamond stones, but anything that will sharpen a blade should work.
Veritas Jig - Holds the plane blades at a consistent angle. Invaluable for sharpening!!
Splicing Block - I picked up this one from JD Wagner, but if you are less lazy than I, you can make one yourself without much trouble.
Buttload of small Pony clamps - Some folks who make nodeless rods will bind the splices, but I find that it is much faster and easier to use clamps.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#29 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:00 PM

good lord, keeping the clamp business alive and well! lol.

lol.gif

Dumb me. Should have bought stock in Pony before I went to the hardware store! tongue.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#30 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:33 AM

That is very impressive Carl, great work!
I want to second that road trip idea! headbang.gif
IPB Image
Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users