Switch Rod

2 replies to this topic

#1 Sticky

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

Hi All,

Looooooong time no build...

So I got a wild hair(or is that hare) to build a switch rod and I found FSW114-4-MHX on Mudhole for cheap!  It's an 11' 4wt switch rod that I'm going to run an OPST Microskagit head on.  I'm going to take some time on this so progress will be slow.  Does anyone have any insight on building a switch versus other fly rods or even conventional rods?  I'm assuming it will be pretty straight forward.

Nick

#2 dmoe

dmoe
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:02 PM

Hi Nick,

I bought the mhx 11-8  I have not built in awhile, I couldnt resist the price either. I am thinking of ordering the x-large tip top from m/hole and the large one from snake guides. this will be my first switch rod. I have built other fly rods and I like the snake guides very much,so thats my advise if you are looking for guides.

for the guide spacing I went to sage`s website to look at guide spacing and sizes for the 11ft 8 wt switch rod. I think it was the x series. This site has good info for guide spacing and so does snake guides.

good luck with your build.

Dave

#3 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:56 PM

Obviously, this forum is, if not dead, moribund. 

Building a switch rod is no different from any other fly rod, except for one thing.  You need to add a longish fighting butt.  I would suggest one that is 3" to 4" long, depending on the size of your hand.  This becomes the rear grip, when you do a spey cast, so it needs to be comfortable, but not so long that it interferes with single hand casting.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users