repair crush

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

Ghostrider
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this guys.

I am a part time rod builder and I have a surf rod I built 30 odd years ago on a 156" Mag Surf Graph blank. I realise it is very basic and very sad compared to what I do now but it is an old friend and has caught a heap of fish.

I lent it to a friend recently and it came back with a small crush on the top foot of the stripper guide.

The rod was built for 7" alvey sidecast and was not underbound.

I have attached photos which might help. It looks a bit distorted but the crush is only on the foot side.

I am thinking I might be able to remove the guide ( I have been thinking about stripping the guides off and re-doing anyway) and fill the crush with epoxy or similar then underbind and overbind the stripper.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.

Attached File  P1000424.JPG   20.68KB   0 downloads  Attached File  P1000425.JPG   21.37KB   0 downloads

another picture here

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Mark

#2 tedshuck

tedshuck
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

Hi Mark,

I think you are on the right track if you want to save this rod.  I think your chances are about 50/50, but it is probably worth a try.  If the rod is going to break, it will begin as a collapse of the damaged zone.  After unwrapping the guide, if you can, it would be good if you could inject some polyurethane glue in the crushed area.  This may give it a bit more support to help prevent this zone from collapse.

Good luck with it!

Ted

#3 Ghostrider

Ghostrider
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:01 AM

Hi Ted

Thanks very much. I agree it is probably 50/50 but I will give it a go. I lose nothing anyway. I will try to inject some polyurethane glue into the crushed area as you suggest.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers

Mark

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, crush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users