Photo

A.R.E blanks

4 replies to this topic

#1 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Hoping to get a bit more thoughts and details about some of the differences between Johnny's blanks.  For a bit of background:

I've built several rods on his UHM series blanks (11' 3/4, 11' 4/5, 12'6" 3/4, 13' 7/8, and his 9' 6wt three times).  Overall I have enjoyed them all, but I find the action quite different between the switch/spey rods vs the 9' 6wt.  Pretty much I found that I liked the 13' 78 and the 11' 4/5 the best and the 9' 6wt the least.  My very first "practice build" was an AR IM6 6'6" 2/3wt which I have never really been crazy about just feels kind of club like to me.

Now, I have noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of fanfare around the IM6 switch and spey blanks so I guess I'm curious if any of you have had a chance to compare them against his UHM12 switch or spey blanks?  While I wasn't much of a fan of the one IM6 blank I did build on, I'm thinking that it's probably apples to oranges in terms of how the longer length blanks will perform.  I also noticed that he does have some IM8 spey blanks too.  Anyone have some experience with his various switch/spey length blanks they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

JB

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,491 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

I've built on pretty much all Johnny's blanks including some of his standard IM6 as well as uhm12's. The uhm12's do seem to be a tad faster action than his IM6's. The 12's seem to have not only a faster tip recovery but also seem to have a bit overall faster action with less flex in the mid section that his IM6's. The 12's are supposed to be a bit lighter as well but IMHO I can't say I have noticed much weight difference between the two.

btw if you try to get in touch with Johnny he is unavailable till after Jan 16th, he's in the hospital for a couple weeks right now.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#3 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, that sounds like my general impressions so far; but like I said, I have not yet had a chance to build any of the IM6 or IM8 blanks in the longer lengths.  

btw if you try to get in touch with Johnny he is unavailable till after Jan 16th, he's in the hospital for a couple weeks right now.

I had actually heard from Johnny, who gave me a reply on two broken rods that I am looking to repair (on was clearly a blank fault, the other completely driver error).  I was pretty surprised that he would bother to reply at all given the circumstances.  I've had good customer service from him so far, but this was above and beyond imo. 

Cheers,

JB

#4 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Not surprised by the differences between spey and a single hand rod, completely different design philosophies and line grain weight the blanks have to carry.

#5 RavenBC

RavenBC
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

I have built on both the UMH12 and the IM6, I have heard of many quality issues with the UMH12  in terms of blank failure and my own UMH12 13ft 7wt broke in the first 45 minutes of use.  I did get a relpacement section and did rebuild and so far so good, but haven't really put it though the paces.  It is definitely a faster action than the IM6 and is a great Scandi rod, and one of the reasons I haven't used it much is that our Summers on Vancouver Island have been very dry so I haven't been out the last 2 yrs for Summer Steelhead do to closures and low warm water etc.

The IM6 11ft 6/7 is a very popular blank on the island with many using it as a beach rod for Pinks and Coho, as well Steelhead in our coastal rivers.

I have also been a fan of the Fiberglass blanks and have built the 13ft 7/8wt and the 6.5ft 3wt. 

IMHO, the IM6 are great bang for the buck and I am able to build a decent quality Spey or Switch rod for under $100 Cdn, where as I am not a fan of the Finish (flaked gold and Silver) on the UMH12, and the fact with the breakage issue, with the increased cost I can pick up a Batson, Pac Bay, or MHX for just a little more money from a local supplier.

I have had both good and bad Customer Service with Johnny, with the last 2 orders being quite ridiculous.  With Johnny's age, Health issues, patience level, trust issues, and poor customer service skills, he would be smart to sell his business or inventory.  There are a few new businesses out there that have caught on to bringing the cheap Chinese blanks that are a lot easier to deal with.  I hope that Johnny realizes the trend and can move on before his Health really catches up with him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users