Is this forum still active?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WayneO

WayneO
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Is this forum still active?  I was a member a few years ago and it was very active.  What happened?

Wayne

#2 ANR

ANR
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

Members make it active (or not).

Maybe more posts when fishing drop down.

#3 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

It has really gone down hill in the last couple of years.  More and more people are moving to social media pages such as on facebook. Every time we have opened it up to let new members join it is flooded with tons of spammers. It will never return to the stages it was as in 2 or three years ago

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

Yep as Ron said, social media is killing off a lot of forums these days. Which is really a shame because I find nothing "social" about social media.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack
  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

Yep as Ron said, social media is killing off a lot of forums these days. Which is really a shame because I find nothing "social" about social media.

Social media?....yeah, no kidding.

I do not understand it.

I mean, I get just so excited reading about what someone had for breakfast and the like.

I do not post much here - I've gone from a newb to a somewhat 'practiced' rod builder.

I build maybe one, two rods a year...being a rather clumsy oaf, I break them left & right  :blush:

That said, this board is still invaluable to me and I hope it stays alive.

A big thanks to all that help maintain it.

"Oni byddi gryf, bydd gyfrwys...If you can't be strong, be cunning"

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

A lot really depends on what pages you join as well as how you accept friends and follow them. I have several pages that are mine, and are not in the least bit controversial or allow any of the political or other garbage on them due to the rules I set up and the way I monitor them. 

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

The site should stay online no matter how slow it gets. The main site is the fly tying forum and that is still and always will be decently active. So since RBF is basically a sister site to FTF then this site should stay around no matter what since FTF is the main thing on our server.

Ron's group on FB is nice, it's called "only fly rod building" I am a member of it and there's some good guys that post.

I do enjoy "forums' better than anything on social media though. Just seems that people become a tighter knit group through forums like this than they do on FB or other social media. Forums like this have made guys like Ron and Randy good friends of mine which I don't think would have happened if we just knew each other through social media.

All things go in phases though. Just as forums were the huge draw 10 years ago, now it has shifted to social media, and give it another 10 years and it will shift to something else. I can tell ya one thing though, the older I get the more I find myself straying away from the internet all together, forums or social media. People just don't treat each other with respect online and I find myself pulling further & further away from dealing with it and just keeping to myself and enjoying life.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

#8 WayneO

WayneO
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

where is the "only fly rod building" group?  Cant find it. 

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

https://www.facebook.../?ref=bookmarks

mcfr.jpg

#10 FisherQueen

FisherQueen
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

I haven't built any rods this year (or more specifically haven't completed any). so haven't posted anything, but I do come by and read once a week or so. One thing I have noticed is that the Sponsor's Corner is pretty inactive. I see that Karen Hapka, for example, is posting her specials only on the Buy-Sell- Trade rodbuilding FB page, but not here.  Getting early announcements of special sales on the Sponsor's corner used to be a real draw. But I also agree with Eric that things are slower during fishing season.

Linda

#11 Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Fishing and a good borboun

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

I'm a member of Ron's page. Always learn a lot and nice seeing everyone work.

We've had a forum here in Alabama that was started back in 2005 / 2006. Part of the American River Fishing sites. Over the years, some of us tried to buy the forum from the owner as he lost interest in it. If it crashed it would be down for long periods. We then set up a FB page to use during these times. FB was OK, but nothing like a good trip report on a forum. Plenty of pictures with a good write up just doesn't look the same on FB. 

Our site crashed again a little over a year ago for good. Luckily, we had a website guru join our FB page and he started up another forum with some of the old info we had saved over the years. It's been slow getting folks to switch to it,  but the past few weeks folks have been posting some TR's and interest is growing.

I hope this site continues on as everyone has always been very helpful.

Chuck

#12 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

There are also several other excellent pages that I am affiliated with as far as facebook goes that yield a lot of info from both professional as well as hobby and those wishing to get into the craft. 

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

#13 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

I add my thanks to the folks who keep this forum up and running.  It is always helpful, even to experienced builders.  Good work!!

#14 coyodel

coyodel
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

I confess...  I've been mostly hanging out on the Fiberglass Fly Rodders board lately.

Half this game is 90% mental.

#15 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

There are also several other excellent pages that I am affiliated with as far as facebook goes that yield a lot of info from both professional as well as hobby and those wishing to get into the craft. 

...which underscores the problem.  This USED to be where people went to get that information.  Now, it's not here, no one is posting here anymore.  It's all on FB. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users