Swing weight?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Howdy! Been a long time! Was on a fly fishing forum and came across the term in the title. Anyone heard of it or is it a selling point for rods? I was on here regularly for several years and never heard anyone mention it. The link mentions it but, to me, it merely refers how tired you get after casting a fly rod for so long. https://www.yellowst...nXeNe6NdpVsBtJs

Will check back for your input. Thanks.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#2 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

As I understand it, swing weight is the perceived weight of the rod and its distribution along the rod when casting.  Most single-handed graphite rods have little swing weight.  Glass and bamboo rods are another matter because of the inherent weight of the material.  Hollow building is one way to decrease swing weight in a bamboo rod.  More rod sections resulting in more metal ferrules in a cane rod will increase swing weight, particularly towards the tip of the rod.  In general, a rod with a stiffer butt will have less perceived swing weight.  Increased swing weight can increase the self-loading of a rod.

Tim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users