Photo

remove spigot inserts

6 replies to this topic

#1 coyodel

coyodel
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

Anyone have an idea how best to remove the inserts from a couple of spigot ferrules?

I was thinking maybe goo gone but I'm not too sure.  I picked up a couple of low budget glass blanks and they're ok except I don't like the glue that was used to secure the inserts.

Thanks!

Half this game is 90% mental.

#2 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

Well, most times people end up drilling them out from the top down thru the blank. Not easy. Heating up the blank might do it but unless the glue or epoxy is sparse, the blank will fail before the glue warms up and lets you remove it. The blank is e-glass and it can't take the heat.

The two choices are that you take your chances, since they are cheap and try it or ship it back to the seller for new ones. You probably will not have much wasted if they do fail and it if works, you're a head of the game. The worst part of some of the cheaper glass blanks coming out of Japan is the spigots themselves. Rough, length not matching, poor fitting, dirt in the glass spigots,etc.

Good luck and keep us informed what works

Randy

#3 coyodel

coyodel
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the advice Randy.  I'm not too sure what to do because I don't really have a shop but drilling out the ferrules sounds plumb crazy!  At least for me anyway.

There's no hurry so I'll roll it around in my noggin for a while.

#4 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

What is wrong with them?  Are they loose already or what?

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#5 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

Most glues have very little shear strength. You may be able to gently tap them out. A few solid but light raps on the end of the spigot may loosen it up for you. If that doesn't do it, let it go until it loosens up on its own if it ever does. It very well may last for years the way it is.
Kevin

#6 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

Most glues have very little shear strength. You may be able to gently tap them out. A few solid but light raps on the end of the spigot may loosen it up for you. If that doesn't do it, let it go until it loosens up on its own if it ever does. It very well may last for years the way it is.
Kevin

#7 coyodel

coyodel
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

Thanks Kevin.  I will try that and see how it works.  These were pretty inexpensive blanks so you get what you pay for sometimes.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users