Photo

Using shooting heads on a shorter glass rod

14 replies to this topic

#1 virtualporkchop

virtualporkchop
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

A buddy and I were talking today about shooting heads and the idea came up for a shorter glass rod around 6-7.5 ft. Has any one here tried this if so how did it go any any ideas for a fun build?

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:49 AM

Are you asking about using shooting heads on the rod you describe?

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 virtualporkchop

virtualporkchop
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

Yes never used them at all mainly fish shorter rods was wondering how it worked out

#4 ACowley

ACowley
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:59 PM

I haven't tried it, and know only a little about spey casting. I was just looking at these today, might be worth a shot...
http://www.opskagit....ando-heads.html. the length seems about right for what you're looking to do.

I've built on a couple Epic glass blanks lately and they might be a good option for you. They're slightly faster and quite a bit more powerful than other glass rods I've tried.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Tony

#5 ADKbum

ADKbum
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

With the right line wt overhead casting should be fine, shorter rods and shooting heads is basically what bass fly fishing is about. Shorter casts, heavy/bulky flies, softer action. Not much delicacy though! Single handed Spey casting, however.....the deep bending action is favorable, but heads generally need to be 2.5-3 times the rod length. OPST doesn't state their head lengths, it's worth asking. Also Check out Rio Skagit Max Short, offered as short as 17' in lighter line options. Good luck and keep us posted!

#6 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

Shooting heads can be used on any fly rod, head length is governed by how much line you can carry outside your rod tip for your application as the head was always outside the tip and you were only casting the very light shooting line behind it. A good starting point is a double taper inexpensive line, 2 sizes larger than you normally use, cut in half and than the ends can be cut slowly to the lengths that work for you, usually 30 ft. is a good starting point to work from.
The running line is either a small diameter floating level line, or just a a non stretch line like your backing.
Steelhead single hand anglers have used this system for 40 years with great results.

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

Wash, that is most interesting.  Wish I had thought of that.  Been flinging flies off and one for about 52 years, seriously for about 20 years.  I actually learned something.  Thanks.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#8 fishbum

fishbum
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

All weight forward lines are shooting heads with an integrated running line. Been around since the late 40s or early 50s. Do a search for Myron Gregory.

Jerry

#9 virtualporkchop

virtualporkchop
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

The idea behind this was to catch small bass and bluegills in a few ponds however the room for back casting is very limited as you are right up against the woods.

Looks like I gotta try to find some cheap line to cut up, I have a few unlabeled and unknown weight blanks around 6-8' so I'm gonna try to find some on clearance hopefully. Should make for some fun experiments

#10 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

Shooting heads can be used on any fly rod, head length is governed by how much line you can carry outside your rod tip for your application as the head was always outside the tip and you were only casting the very light shooting line behind it. A good starting point is a double taper inexpensive line, 2 sizes larger than you normally use, cut in half and than the ends can be cut slowly to the lengths that work for you, usually 30 ft. is a good starting point to work from.
The running line is either a small diameter floating level line, or just a a non stretch line like your backing.
Steelhead single hand anglers have used this system for 40 years with great results.

I like this approach best.  Skagit lines systems are not cheap and I've often been disapointed with their versatility.  I've done the above with WF but not DT.  DT might be better and you can get two heads out of it.  Airflo and Rio make short head spey, skagit and skandi lines as well.  I have had very good experiences with the Airflo pro staff and I wouldn't hesitate to consult with them.  I usually get a response within 24 hrs. I will only do business with vendors who have prompt and polite customer support because it can be an costly venture trying to dial in on a line that suits my style, especially for a rod the line manufacturer has not tested their lines on. Making your shooting heads is not terribly difficult - easier than building a rod and fun to do as well. 

#11 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

Check out the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum  they had some great ideas in the past for this.

It sound like a great idea to me.  I built out a Seeker S-glass  SP700 which is a nice 5-6-7 wt rod.  It would do wonders with a 30' head and a light running line.  The batson SPG780 is/was a nice blank to work with. You have to spiggot it (since it is a 1pc rod) but turns out really nice.  The lightest glass spinning rods you can find are basically 5-6 or even 7wt's  so if you want a heavier rod, just bump up to a slightly heavier spinning blank.

The glass spinning blanks I've tried are actually really well suited to shooting heads. 

#12 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

Check out the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum  they had some great ideas in the past for this.

It sound like a great idea to me.  I built out a Seeker S-glass  SP700 which is a nice 5-6-7 wt rod.  It would do wonders with a 30' head and a light running line.  The batson SPG780 is/was a nice blank to work with. You have to spiggot it (since it is a 1pc rod) but turns out really nice.  The lightest glass spinning rods you can find are basically 5-6 or even 7wt's  so if you want a heavier rod, just bump up to a slightly heavier spinning blank.

The glass spinning blanks I've tried are actually really well suited to shooting heads. 

Carl,  What color is the Seeker?  - Steve

#13 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

The one I have is olive, but I think they also come in black.  The color on the tip section of my rod doesn't quite match the butt section, but it is a great casting rod.

I don't have a picture right now, but will try to snap a few.

#14 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Steve.  I can let you borrow the rod to cast it a bit if we can figure out a way to do the handoff.  

#15 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

That would be great! I'll PM you. Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users