Photo

Blank Manufacturers

8 replies to this topic

#1 Tex

Tex
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

I come from the aftermarket auto industry and I know that there are a few manufacturers of parts and a ton of people who put their badge on an item and sell it as their own. When it comes to blank manufacturing, how many of these companies (large and small) make their own rods vs. how many get made on the same assembly line and painted/badged differently? Does anyone around really know who makes their own blanks? And does anyone know who happens to share manufacturing lines?

I am just curious

#2 Bingham Enterprises

Bingham Enterprises
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

St.Croix, North Fork Composites, HYDRA , Talon and Sage make their own blanks. These companies MAY OEM for others but most are just an import. No one is going to say who OEM's for who it is a matter of customer / mfg. confidentiality.
Karen
Bingham Enterprises
913-897-6657
Binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com

Home of St.Croix, NFC, Rainshadow, Bing SHX blanks, Fuji, PacBay, AMTAK, Snakebrand Guides, Makoi Thread, Cork Rings and blocks, Threadmaster, Flexcoat and much more.

"Personalized service the old fashioned way"

#3 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

CTS in NZ and Burkheimer in the US roll their own blanks. Tom Morgan has Burkheimer roll his glass blanks, though I don't know if he does his graphites as well. I'm not sure about the other custom makers.

Any idea how many overseas blank makers there are? I'm thinking Asian high volume not European or custom.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#4 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

G Loomis and Lamiglas in Woodland, Wa. Steffen Bros. and McFarland glass fly rod blanks. Gatti in Italy, there are manufacturers in Britain and Germany, just can pull the names out right now. Zipplex surf blanks in S. Africa.

#5 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

No such thing as a G Loomis blank any more, except for a few NOS ones still out there. Gary's blanks are North Fork Conposits, but are manufactured in Woodland.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

Don't forget Global Dorber which are made in house in Arkansas.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#7 Cody

Cody
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

Have you used a Global Dorber blank??

#8 MHF

MHF
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

After reading here I ordered a short, light 5 wt. about 2-3 months ago. It finely came in the middle of last week. I am tickled to death.
I bream fish and there are always trees overhead, limbs hanging down. I got a 5 1/2 ft rod that weighs 1 1/2 Ozs. Yes half of most high $ rods. I don't know how they get the weight down that light, but it's really nice. Cigar grip with twin ring cork seat.

#9 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:43 AM

I have a 6 ft. 2 wt. that is a blast for small streams- bream and trout.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users