Photo

6'-6'6" 7w Suggestions?

8 replies to this topic

#1 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have had a request for a short, 6'-7' or so, 7w for fishing small streams for pike. I think fiberglass would be prefect but have not been able to find anything that short.

Any suggestions?

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#2 MytQuinn

MytQuinn
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (kbproctor @ Dec 19 2013, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had a request for a short, 6'-7' or so, 7w for fishing small streams for pike. I think fiberglass would be prefect but have not been able to find anything that short.

Any suggestions?

Look at http://vintagerods.c...wulff/wulff.htm
I've built these in 6', 7' and 8', super fun to fish and the owner sent scrap to add spigot ferrules on request. The 7' is a solid 7w rod, I usually fish a 6w Sharkskin line on the 6'.
One word of warning, if you have him cut them he will cut them directly in half, would be better if you can get the cut offset to account for the ferrule.

#3 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (MytQuinn @ Dec 19 2013, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kbproctor @ Dec 19 2013, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any suggestions?

Look at http://vintagerods.c...wulff/wulff.htm
I've built these in 6', 7' and 8', super fun to fish and the owner sent scrap to add spigot ferrules on request. The 7' is a solid 7w rod, I usually fish a 6w Sharkskin line on the 6'.
One word of warning, if you have him cut them he will cut them directly in half, would be better if you can get the cut offset to account for the ferrule.

This might work very nicely.
Kevin

#4 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (kbproctor @ Dec 19 2013, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any suggestions?

Spinning rod blank? I'm visualizing something in the Eagle Claw Trailmaster yellow fiberglass with brown thread.

#5 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Gnossos @ Dec 19 2013, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any suggestions?

Spinning rod blank? I'm visualizing something in the Eagle Claw Trailmaster yellow fiberglass with brown thread.

I can get the blank at WalMart for $30. hysterical.gif

Kevin

#6 Tex

Tex
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Gnossos @ Dec 19 2013, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any suggestions?

That is a great rod! I just bought it from Amazon a few weeks back, its actually one of my favorite. Glass is so wonderful

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

What type of lures/flies will he be using? Am I to assume that it's a fly rod? Just curious.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#8 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Yes, it's a fly rod, but I have heard nothing else from the guy. It was to be for pike in Austria.
Kevin

#9 LeMoutch

LeMoutch
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

just built a short fly rod out of a Batson SPG601 glass blank. casts a nice 3wt, and a 4wt too.
I think a SPG782 might be your ticket. it's super cheap, but the SPGs have some reputation as fly blanks. certainly not bad at all for something costing well under $20.
it's one piece, which may be a plus, and your customer can chose whether he wants a spigot (and where)

If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies.

http://www.lemouching.com
http://g0nefishin9.wordpress.com/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users