Photo

any tips on keeping guides aligned straight?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gmorin71

gmorin71
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

i usually just follow my spine marks and eyeball them but was wondering if anyone had any tricks. 

#2 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

For the stripper guides to the choker (spinning rod), I use a straight piece of welding rod for the initial spacing, making sure the rod runs right in the center of each guide.

This works for the remaining running guides as well.  When aligned and while the rod is still on the wrapper I turn the rods so the guides are down and look down the rod directly above for a second look.  Lastly, I remove the rod, point it at a light colored wall and trust your eyesight to make any final adjustments.

#3 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack
  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

One technique that I have found very useful -

• once your guides are wrapped, take the rod sections outside where one has natural lighting.

• find a light colored background and hold a rod section up & down, about an arm's length off.

• have the guides face away from you and look to see how much of the guide is off center from the rod blank.

You'll be amazed at how well this works; it can show minute variations in centering that the normal 'looking down the barrel' doesn't show. Hope my description makes sense, easy to do, hard to explain.

"Oni byddi gryf, bydd gyfrwys...If you can't be strong, be cunning"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users