Computer problem

Computer

13 replies to this topic

#1 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

Here it is: Dell laptop with Windows 10, Mozilla Firefox. I can start the computer, open FF. but I can't get any website to open. Can use bookmarks or enter URL on top of page. Tab has yellow triangle, Problem Loading Page. Has message: connection can't be made. Need help. Thanks.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#2 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like your internet connection has failed. Check your internet settings to see if you are connected or not. Are you using a Wi-Fi connection or a cable connection to your modem? You didn't say if this is a new computer or an established system that stopped working.

John A.

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

New computer, started last Friday morning. Won't work with wifi or direct connection to modem. Net service checked modem three times and didn't find anything.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#4 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

John,

We stopped using Dell at my work because we have more fail than work.  We have over 3,000 dell laptops and at least 60 percent have had the system board replaced.

I would give them a call and let them walk you through the diagnostics.  If the wireless and wired ports are not working it very well could be a system board issue.  

If you have anti virus software try turning it off and see it if works.  My bet is on hardware failure.

#5 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:11 AM

John,

Here are a few things to check:

Make sure that the WIFI "radio" on your laptop is turned on. Some Dell laptops have a button; others have a switch.

Find it and make sure it is on.

Test if the problem is in your computer or your home internet connection.

-See if other computers can get to the internet from your home connection.

-See if your laptop can get to the internet from another connection.

Test to see if it only affects your Firefox browser.

-See if you can get to the internet using iExplorer. It should already be installed on your new laptop.

If all of these things fail to get you to the internet, I would suggest using another computer and downloading "Malewarebytes" onto a thumb drive and running that on your laptop.

If you could get on the internet, with your new laptop, using firefox.......but no longer can get to the intenet; something has changed.

Either some malware go onto your machine, some settings have changes, or something hardware related has failed.

Good luck John.

#6 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:53 AM

Since this is a new computer I agree with Greg's suggestion to call Dell and let them work the problem. Hope you get it sorted out.

John A.

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

They said it was a virus. Several disagree with Dell plus Dell wants $139.95 since the warranty doesn't cover software issues.
Computer comes on OK. I can double click on FF and the page opens. However, I can't open any website. Tab at top left says Problem Opening Page plus I get a message, The connection was reset. There are three things listed why there was no connection.
Tried MS Edge- used RBF website and got, Hmmm, we can't reach this page.
IExplorer not on the computer.

Edited by John T., 31 August 2016 - 02:20 PM.

John T.

#8 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

It's sounds like a wifi issue.   Have you run a virus program to check?   That sounds like a copout on Dell's part.

Can you run a lan cable straight from your modem/router and see if you can connect to the web?

If you can't tell Dell you want your $$$ back for selling inferior equipment especially since this is a new computer

“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#9 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Ran cable from modem to computer- same thing.
A friend is going to look at it this weekend. Fellow at church had a problem with driver, said his was the DNS.
I noted the RBI website so he could see what you guys are suggesting. Never had this problem with my slide rule. :D

John T.

#10 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

Take it back where you got it, they should be able to hook it up and try and see what the problem is. If they don't support it, get you money back and go somewhere reputable

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#11 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

John,

You've used a different browser (MS Edge) and that didn't work. So it's not a FireFox issue.

Can other devices reach the internet on your home network? If not, the problem may be in the router or line to your house.

Can your laptop reach the internet at other places? Some coffee shops, McDonalds, etc have free WIFI.

If your laptop can't reach the internet at one of those places, you know it is in your machine.

Malwarebytes is a great free program that will scan your computer and get rid of a lot of bad stuff.

You can download it here:

https://www.malwareb...m/mwb-download/

Download it onto a USB thumb drive and run it on your laptop.

It is pretty thorough and it will update itself when you start it, to get the latest anti-virus stuff. 

It will scan your registry, your memory, your startup files, and then the entire system.

It's definitely worth the trouble.

#12 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Tried wifi at church- nothing. Android and iPad works on our wifi. Internet service checked modem three times and proved to be OK. If line-in was bad, modem should not be accessible.

John T.

#13 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

So why don't you take it back where you got it

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#14 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

Took it to Staples and loaded with viruses!

John T.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users