Photo

Question about reel seat fit

5 replies to this topic

#1 StrykerDM

StrykerDM
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:46 PM

So I'm starting my second rod build soon and need some help finding a good nice Rec reel seat to fit the blank. I built a epic ready to wrap kit for my first so everything was pre fit. This second blank is an epic 480 (8ft 4wt fly rod). The specs online say the butt diameter is 10mm. Hoe much space should I have in the bore of the reel seat? Some of the red seats online say they're standard at .420 bore diameter which I think is around 10.6mm. This doesn't seem enough space to get epoxy in but what do you guys think? Should I look at a bigger custom rec reel seat that's .438 or something?

#2 PENZZZ

PENZZZ
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

To me the closer the better. That way very little shimming is necessary to center the reel seat insert on the blank.

#3 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:43 PM

Thats the reason we offer so many different bore sizes for the inserts that we custom build or offer with our Lemke seats. Your rod has a butt OD of appx .393, so the .420 Insert ID will work just fine for it. The thinner the epoxy layer is the stronger the bond is. tt would most likely even take a couple of wraps of masking tape arbors to assure that it is centered

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

Why not try the Lemke seats from SWCR?  Nice!!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

Stryker
I love Epic blanks. They are really fun to fish.

I second John T's suggestion about a Lemke seat and custom insert from Ron Weber. I have used them and they are first class.

Good luck with the build.

John A.

#6 StrykerDM

StrykerDM
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

I think I'll be placing orders this weekend with him for one of those snazzy lemke seats. He also connected me to custom fly grips to make me a modified cigar grip to match. I'm just deciding unlocking or down locking.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users