Rod repair

Reel seats

6 replies to this topic

#1 Disco-Bri

Disco-Bri
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

Hi Guys I am just starting out as a rod builder and my learning curve is pretty steep. I have been given a rod to repair that needs a new reel seat I and I am wondering the best way to remove the old seat. I had thought about heat to melt the epoxy but I am concerned about damaging the blank if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them, also if anybody has any ideas about reading materials about rod repair?. I have a few books on rod building but none of them cover repair 

Many Thanks 

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

I'm sure that Amazon would have books on rod repair.  You might check some of the sponsors listed on the forum.  Fly rod? Spinning rod? Casting rod?  Many put the reel seat in a zip lock bag and hold it in boiling water for a while.  Others will chime in here, also with their ideas.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

What type of rod is this?  A picture or two would also help.

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

With over 250 spammers in the last couple of week, I may have gotten over zealous due to his Log on name and accidently flagged him

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

Yea, I've been erasing them left and right myself.

Randy

#6 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

Since this question has been answered already (several times) this year, I'd just suggest using the search function and let it go.  Do we have a pinned topic on removing the reel seat? 

#7 jdsmitty22

jdsmitty22
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

I have collected a great number of butt sections of rods.From childrens to deep sea,if anyone is looking for a butt section let me know and if I have one u can use maybe we can make the conection.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reel seats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users