Photo

Feather inlay for reel seat

8 replies to this topic

#1 Doc Mike

Doc Mike
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

I will be making a reel seat of Bocote.  I would prefer to finish it with Tru-Oil.  Would it be possible to add a feather inlay opposite the reel foot and cover it with epoxy?  Are these materials compatible?  Opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks Guys.

#2 PENZZZ

PENZZZ
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

Mike, I have no experience with mounting feathers on wood reel seat inserts, only on rod sections. So can't help you there. Regarding use of oil based gunstock finishes on Bocote, I have experience with that (though I use Pro Custom Oil which is similar to Tru-Oil). Bocote is an oily wood. PCO and Tru-Oil have oil in them. When you apply oil based finishes onto oily woods, the finish encounters the oil in the wood, somewhat flooding the gunstock finish with added oil. This creates an oil imbalance in the finish, making it difficult for the finish to harden as designed by the manufacturer. The result is a finish coat that remains tacky instead of hardening. You can work around this problem, but I can't recommend a workaround that doesn't harm your feather inlay and epoxy coating.

#3 Doc Mike

Doc Mike
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

I was aware of the oil finish problems.  I just wonder if the oil will have an effect of the epoxy.  Thanks Penzzz

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Usually any type of oil will cause issues with the epoxy. 

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

The only finish I've ever applied to bocote was CA.  As recommended somewhere else, I wiped it down with DNA before applying CA and turpentine.  I can't see you being able to do that with a feather inlay.

#6 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

I've had success using a couple of coats of sanding sealer over cocobolo to block the oil from interfering with Helmsman varnish.  You might try using sanding sealer as a blocking coat then epoxy over it.  I'd certainly do a test first though.  Good luck.

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#7 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

All the cocobolo I have done, is after turning wipe down several times with a saturated cloth with acetone, then sanding sealer, then dipped in spar urethaneCOCO_zps786d890f.jpg

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#8 Doc Mike

Doc Mike
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

#9 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

Mike, Perhaps Spar Urethane would work, then apply the feather inlay and epoxy over it after it's cured.  Spar Urethane would give a hue similar to Tru-oil.  I've used epoxy over spar urethane (not SPAR Varnish) and it's worked well on thread wraps.  My experience is that spar urethane is compatible with epoxy.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users