Photo

FTOTY Bamboo Rod 2004

100 replies to this topic

#91 vices

vices
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:44 AM

WOW, is right.. Carl your master craftsman and an over exceptional artist.. cheers.gif Great job..

#92 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 01:53 AM

Thanks to you all for helping me put together this fantastic rod!!

Unfortunately, this particular journey is about over. For the past two days I have been applying coats of finish to the wraps. For this I use Minwax quick dry poly. I'll often use Sutherland-Welles marine spar varnish, but it gives a bit of an extra amber hue to the wraps, and I thought the color was so nice as it was, I didn't want to darken it any further. The poly doesn't darken the wraps, and provides a very tough coat that dries in a couple of hours.

After applying a coat and letting it dry I lightly sand any imperfections, and then recoat. I've applied 3 coats so far (not included the FlexCoat) and I'll probably end up doing one more. After that I'll spend a little time polishing things up a bit and the FTOTY rod will be finished.

You'll also notice that I wrapped the grip in plastic to protect the cork as I was applying finish (and for when I go out and lawn cast the rod tomorrow devil.gif ).

Here are some pics of the more-or-less finished product:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

You guys have really done a wonderful job of choosing the options. I wish each of you could check it out first-hand and cast her a bit. But, as it is, you'll just have to work on honing your tying skills and try and take her home for yourself.

I'm going to let the rod sock poll go through next week as I'll be out of town, but once I get back I'll shut down the poll and get it on the way.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#93 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:14 AM

That is one of the finest looking split bamboo rod I have ever seen Carl
I am sure anyone who is lucky enough to win this rod will have an heirloom for the future

OSD.

#94 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:48 AM

Beautiful rod Carl your going to make one tyer very happy clapping.gif I loved the poll method you used to build the rod it made us feel like we were a part of the process. Thanks again for all your hard work now I better start tying some flies.

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#95 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

man, that is an absolutely hot lookin rod. absolutely fine craftsmanship and impeccable taste from our members.....

steve

#96 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:48 PM

Carl, Today was the first time I viewed this thread and I’m completely stunned and blown away by the quality of your talent and workmanship, truly amazing indeed. I agree with OSD, you’ve created and ”heirloom” to be admired and cherished. I just cant imagine what it would be like to fish with this magnificent fly rod because I can feel my hair blow back just looking at the photo’s on-line.

Not being one that gets into competitive fishing or tying, do it for fun not $, I had not anticipated entering the contest, especially with the outstanding salmon flies I’ve seen posted, but looking at your hand crafted fly rod I have decided to spend next weekend at the vice. I will be happy for whoever wins this masterpiece.

Respectfully, Graham

#97 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Graham, I appreciate your kind words. blush.gif

I'm glad to hear you are going to send some flies in for the contest. I think our reasons for our hobbies are the same - not for the $, but because it is satisfying to do and also to pass along what we enjoy, be it in the form of a fly, a rod, a streamside tip or some friendly advise.

PS - Got your letter today - thanks! I may have some solar questions for you one of these days.
wink.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#98 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

Hi Carl, I will be happy to help you with anything solar energy related, anytime. I think of myself as a crafstman, spent the past 23 years installing solar energy systems on homes in Los Angeles including many big names in the entertainment industry. I take a lot of pride in my workmanship and I truly appreciate the quality of your skills. I've been making a home made web site for my small business, has some good info to browse... www.solarexpert.com

Take care, Graham

#99 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:46 AM

Carl,

A truely beautiful flyrod, thank you for crafting this rod for the contest. Your series of posts have been very educational, I figured building a cane rod was an exacting process, but never knew how intricate the steps were.

#100 brokenrod

brokenrod
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:32 PM

ohmy.gif thumbup.gif thumbsup.gif
Carlin,
I have to say what an outstand job on the step by step pictures and on the finished rod. If anyone wants to build a nodeless rod you have give them an outstanding headstart. The rod is a true work of art.
One request oh maybe two where do you live I would love to try for the hugh trout. Second can you take a few step by step pictures of your thread work.

Again great job on the rod and pictures.

#101 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that the walk-through is of some help.

I'll make sure when doing this year's FTOTY rod to do some closeups on wrapping, but I really don't do anything differently with bamboo that what was posted in the Hatches article that I put together earlier this year. There is also a post I did on 4 turn trim wraps that can be found here.

Oh, and I live in Alaska. There do seem to be a few decent sized trout swimming around up here. rolleyes.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users