Photo

Diving in head first!

Fly rod building

4 replies to this topic

#1 Cej255

Cej255
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, horsepower and America........in any order!

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

So I have been tying my own flies for quite some time now. I have always enjoyed the satisfaction of tricking a fish with my own creation. So it seems like building a rod is the obvious next step. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. I look forward to learning from the master! My first attempts will be a Rainshadow 7'9" 3wt 2pc and a Netcraft 8' 5 wt 4pc. I will try to post pictures good or bad!

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:50 AM

Welcome to the forum!  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  People are more than willing to share their experience and expertise.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 Chris_NH

Chris_NH
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:35 AM

I'm in pretty much the same boat. So far everyone has been quite helpful. This is a great resource, for sure. :)

#4 Dave-G.

Dave-G.
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

So I have been tying my own flies for quite some time now. I have always enjoyed the satisfaction of tricking a fish with my own creation. So it seems like building a rod is the obvious next step. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. I look forward to learning from the master! My first attempts will be a Rainshadow 7'9" 3wt 2pc and a Netcraft 8' 5 wt 4pc. I will try to post pictures good or bad!

Is the Rainshadow an original Rainshadow or the newer Rainshadow Revelation?  Just curious ( both are smooth casting incidentally, the Rev has a bit more oomph).

I've never built a Netcraft blank. The iM6 is appealing if it's well engineered, can't say I'm nuts about the 4.5 tip idea, it just depends on how it flexes though. I'll be curious to hear about it..

#5 Novadoc

Novadoc
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I also dove in head first about a week ago the rest of my stuff should arrive tomorrow and I can finally get started

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users