Photo

9wt 9' fly rod suggestions (newby)

16 replies to this topic

#1 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:10 PM

Hello everyone I am very excviuted ti be apart of the forum and gain knowledge from you all. I am currently a student at corpus Christi A&M and my buddies have really got me into surf fishing and I am very interested in making my own rods. I plan on purchasing the 9/10wt redington behemoth reel and was wanting a 9' 9wt for the reel, we have caught some jack crevalles on a fly rod and those thing fight like small black tip sharks. I would really like to keep the cost no more than 100$ due to being a college kid. I ran across some graphite and fiber glass blanks on ebay by 'olde fly rods' for very cheap, figured I would throw it out there for yall to look at. http://www.ebay.com/... blank&_sacat=0

Thanks for all the help guys! (keep in mind college budget, very tight.)

#2 ACowley

ACowley
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:04 AM

I have not used his blanks, but I have ordered other supplies from him and they've been good. I think there are a couple guys on here that have built on his blanks and seemed to like them. His website is http://yeoldeenglishflyshop.com/ Might have some more options for you there, and you might be able to get your other supplies as well.

#3 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

thanks for such a quick reply, but good to know at least some of his products already have a good reputation that makes me feel much more comfortable. Some friends working at a tackle shop might be able to get me a blank the shops actually use so I may end up going that route. Thanks again for the reply I'm very excited to make my first rod

#4 FisherQueen

FisherQueen
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

I have used his blanks, in sizes ranging from 3wt to 6wt switch to 8wt, and have been very pleased. The 8wt has caught some really big fish.  Plus Brian is a standup guy to do business with, He stands behind his products, and if one doesn't meet the specs, he replaces it without argument.  That said, in the 9wt 9ft category, take a look at Terry Johnson's  (T.L. Johnson) blanks on that auction site. I just bought an 8wt from him for $70 and it is one beautiful rod.

#5 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

Wow it's great to know those rods have been used and trusted.thank you for chiming in on the thread. And I will absolutely check out the terry Johnson blanks, thanks guys!

#6 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

I have found a 9' 9wt Terry johnson for 65$ and olde for 62$ but two tips, do yall have a preference or know which one would be best fit for me?

THANKS!

#7 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

I don't believe the T L Johnson's are going to have a warranty, where Brian's do

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#8 FisherQueen

FisherQueen
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

Ron makes a good point.  The rods TL Johnson sells on the auction site are seconds (he says blems only, or color change only) and have no warranty if they break. Brian will replace defective blanks at any point with a $20 handling fee, although he replaced blanks for me at no cost when I found them to be unacceptably crooked on arrival. Beyond that, the Johnson blanks are US made, and the OEFS blanks are made in China.  But if you plan to fish hard-fighting jack crevalles, the two tips and the warranty might be a really good idea. 

Linda

#9 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:29 AM

I went ahead and purchased brians 9wt rod and I think with what yall have said that was defintely the right choice to go with. Another buddy here in town actualy lent me his rainshadow rod spinning station with some spare line to try around with so another check off the list for beginning this project. I may love the color of brians rod but just incase i don't, do yall suggest any affordable paint that will not chip? I saw on mudhole they use basic krylon fusion spray paint, is it that durable alone with no extra clear coat?

Thanks guys! yall reply extremely fast, much appreciated

#10 ACowley

ACowley
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

If you poke around here much, you'll find that painting rods isn't as straightforward as you'd think. The best way is to use automotive paints and an auto 2 part clear coat in an air sprayer. You'll also need to add an agent to make the paint and clear coat flexible, like body shops do for bumpers.

Krylon fusion with a spray spar urethane clear coat will work, but it won't look near as nice as the factory finish, at least from the few I've done that way.

#11 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

I figured there wasnt an "official" way unless you threw some automotive, good quality, paint on there. I do actually have a HVLP paint sprayer that would do the job perfectly I just don't want to spend the same price on paint that I just did for the rod. I could possibly ask a garage intown if they have any left over paint for cheap, I would imagine it would take barely any to paint a rod.  

#12 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:01 AM

Also guys, what do yall suggest for line to spool this thing? I would like to maximize line capacity with a reasonable price. I wouldn't have a clue exactly how much backing compared to leader line would be. Thanks guys!

#13 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

It depends on the reel.  If you have a 9 wt reel, it should hold 100 yds of backing plus the fly line.  You could use gel spun backing and you should be able to  increase the backing to 150 yds or so.  If you need more than that, you might consider upsizing the reel. 

Take a look at the RIO saltwater lines.  Don't skimp on the fly line.

I use a 7 weight rod with a 9 weight reel for surf fishing.  I have 200 yds of backing 110 feet of slick shooter and a RIO outbound Short 265 grain shooting head.  

I am on the west coast though.  I can easily cast 60 to 90 feet with this setup.  You might need around 200 yds of total line for crevalles.

#14 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:20 AM

greg thanks for the input what is the price difference of the backing to gel backing? I believe the tackle shop was going to throw the backing on free of purchase but if gel backing would be worth it at a reasonable price I can go that way.i am very new to this so forgive my dumb questions but is the slick shooter and shooting head the same thing or no? I assumed it would be backing, the Rio line and a clear tippet? I could be saying the same thing and just not have the vocabulary to know

#15 crane_andrew

crane_andrew
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

also, any ideas where I could purchase a manifold grip? they are supposed to help with carpal tunnel obviously I don't have that just looking for something very practical for fishing hours at a time and looks pretty sweet in my opinion

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users