Photo

experience in rod building new to fly

11 replies to this topic

#1 chrisrheaume93

chrisrheaume93
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:43 AM

Hey guys, I'm from Florida and 95% of my fishing is fishing heavy cover for bass, I have fly fished before but have never built one and am not very knowledgable in the field of fly fishing. But after seeing some of the amazing fly builds posted on here i decided i wanna try my luck on one. I'm thinking something around 8-9' on a 4wt. Mostly just a pond rod to have fun with the bluegills and small bass. Do any of yall have some advice for someone who has building experience but is new to fly? Also if yall have suggestions on blanks/ materials and reels. I wanna make something that isnt a complete pos but i wanna keep it economically friendly after all its pretty much just gonna be a pond rod. Thanks for yalls time and advice

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

Thats easy.  Bingham Ent SHX blank, Lemke reel seat, minima guides for single ft, or Snake brand universals for double foot. 

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

Sounds like a great combo.  Other than I would move to a 6wt for warmwater fishing.  I like the extra line weight to cast poppers.  

If you are going for a 6wt, you might try a slightly slower action rod than the shx (or go with the 4wt shx and use a 5 or 6wt line on it).  A Rainshadow RX6 blank might also do well.

The other components Ron mentioned are perfect.

#4 chrisrheaume93

chrisrheaume93
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thanks guys, very helpful as always. I had a 6wt before, it was a cheap low model tfo i felt it was a bit stout for what i wanted but it could have just been the quality of the rod itself. I throw almost exclusively wooly buggers betts spiders and foam bug flies (I know theres no skill or hatch matching involved with that) but do you think a 4wt is too small for that?

#5 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

If you felt that rod was too much, I would go with the 4wt.   It has less to do with the fish and more to do with the flys.  I cast size 6 weighted wooley buggers and to me a 4wt line is a bit light for that.  It's doable but not enjoyable.  Also, size 6 poppers be hard to turn over.  If you really are after small fish (bluegill and small bass) the 4wt is OK.  

10" bass hit size 4 poppers, but 3-pound bass will strike size 10 poppers.  You are limiting how big of a fly you can toss, but if you don't mind that limitation, it's not a problem.  

#6 chrisrheaume93

chrisrheaume93
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

Good to know, im assuming i will need a stripper guide before moving to the snake guides?

#7 chrisrheaume93

chrisrheaume93
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

Lookin at the pflueger trion 4wt. Good deal for around $100 or should i go with somethin else?

#8 Dave-G.

Dave-G.
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Lookin at the pflueger trion 4wt. Good deal for around $100 or should i go with somethin else?

Are you talking about the reel ?

#9 chrisrheaume93

chrisrheaume93
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

Yes

#10 Dave-G.

Dave-G.
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:13 AM

I don't know a whole lot about the reel but the specs on it look decent. FWIW, you can get a Lamson Liquid for about the same money. Just sayin.

#11 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Pflueger has been around for as long as I can remember.  I have one that is about 54 years old.  I also have another Pflueger Supreme that is my favorite.  FWIW, I have an Okuma that is for large capacity line/backing.  However, if you loosen the star drag too much, it falls off. 

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#12 chrisrheaume93

chrisrheaume93
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

Okay thanks i will look into Lamson. I appreciate it, yeah ive had a few pflueger spinning reels that i liked. I dont know very much about fly specific brands so i appreciate the suggestion. I also liked the pflueger cause it had an old school look to it, want to make the set up look more traditional old school then new gen

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users