Photo

Refinishing Clemens Fly Rod

7 replies to this topic

#1 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Many years ago I built a Clemens Fly Rod that they rated for 5 to 8 weight line and have thoroughly enjoyed fishing with it for many years.  Now that I have retired from all but one of my hobbies, I want to refinish this rod so maybe I can go back to catching fish, but I need advice on reasonable steps to use without removing the guides, foregrip, reel seat, etc.  Any thoughts, help, advice, etc, is appreciated!

Barry L Elder

#2 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

If you don't need to redo the guides, what are you trying to accomplish? Is the blank dull, are the wraps scratched?  I'm just wondering.

The simplest is to clean it with soap and water (dishsoap).

If the cork is gungy, I might do a light sanding.

If the wraps are dull, I will put on a thin coat of spar varnish.

Post a picture and maybe we can come up with some ideas.

This sounds more like "detailing" than a refinishing.

#3 Muddler4

Muddler4
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Based on your description I assume this is an Appogee??  I have one as well that needs a rebuild but that is because the guides are so worn from 25 years of "I can't put it down".  I have the same questions as Carl.  If you're not replacing the guides and wraps what is the problem?  These are worth money by the way so I would use some caution if you decide to tear it down and re build.  The Appogee is easily my favorite rod of all time.  Joy Dunlop built it for me as he had a direct line to Dale Clemens and the blanks and consulted a bit on the design. 

#4 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

Appogee was one of the blanks that Dale had but he also sold many others. I have a few of his. He sold them under a name as Custom I think. I would have to look at the sticker or bag that I have those blanks in. It was a 3 pc/9 ft blank. If that's an apogee---be very careful with that. They were ahead of it's time. Dale bought them from overseas and it was a design with a solid tip. The factory burnt down and it never was rebuilt.

Randy

#5 Muddler4

Muddler4
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

The key leading me to say Appogee is that it is rated 5-8 wt. as the OP described.  The solid tip was what made them so versatile.  The fire was a shame and someone tried to give it a go again with the solid tip.  The original supplier (in Japan) already was making tapered solid carbon twigs for a proprietary use so they had the means  to do this for Dale.  But I don't think it was financially feasible to do it just for rods.  The lower section of the rod was Gary Loomis tubular graphite.

#6 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

Muddler 4, yea I was thinking Appogee too. What a great rod! Gary and I discussed Dale and his rod business 3 years ago when I sat down to talk with him. You know your rods.

Randy

#7 Muddler4

Muddler4
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

Actually I don't know a lot but I know a bit about that one because I was lucky enough to stumble into it while they were still being made.  Which in turn was the result of my initial lame attempts to fly fish NW Florida back in the 80s.  That's how I met Joy Dunlop who lived about 10 miles down the road from me.

#8 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

Sorry to take so long to reply.  What I want to "recoat" or "refinishe" is the rod blank itself as it has dings and bare spots from many, many fishing adventures.  I'm not ready to strip it down and start over again if I can avoid it.  I mainly want to improve the appearance and protect the rod should I get well enough to take up flyfishing again in the Indian River Lagoon.  I have a heavier saltwater flyrod but I intend to sell it rather than ruin another shoulder. (Ha!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users