Photo

Fenwick FL 84-5 i-piece fly rod help

Looking for information

4 replies to this topic

#1 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

I bought a 1 piece Fenwick FL 84-5 fly rod at a yard sale and am wondering what I've got.  I've looked on the internet and found some 2-piece rods of this model but no 1 piece rods, which I thought was strange since they had the same model number.  The rod does not have any guides on it and it doesn't look like there ever were any.  It has a cork grip and a downlocking aluminum reel seat.  There is also a loose aluminum winding check on the rod a couple of inches above the end of the grip but the fit is so tight that I'm not sure it's ever been to the end of the grip.

I've built a couple of fly rods on Sage graphite blanks, refinished some glass rods and am currently making bamboo rods but this was just too good a deal ($2.00) to pass up.  All it needs are guides and I'm thinking about putting them on it but thought it worthwhile to check with you folks before doing anything since this forum has been so helpful in developing my fly rod endeavors.  Can someone tell me about this rod?

Thanks,

Cliff

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#2 taniwha

taniwha
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

84" / 7' #5 fibreglass fly blank built out by a hobby or custom builder and by the sounds of it abandoned during refurb or strip down pending refurb.

Worth finishing out, try both a #4 and #5 line

#3 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

FL  is the code for a blank (this was sold as a blank) so it probably was never built up.  It is common to ferrule these as 2 pc rods or potentially 3pc rods.  Either using fiberglass blank material as the spigot or aluminum sizematic (sp) ferrules.  Can you get into the butt section of the rod to insert a spigot or is it covered by the reel seat?

I would pop over to the fiberglass flyrodders forum and ask there.  These are sought after blanks in the fiberglass community (though not particularly valuable as far as blanks go).  Is this a yellow blank or a brown blank (I'm guessing yellow since it is a 1 piece)

#4 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

FL  is the code for a blank (this was sold as a blank) so it probably was never built up.  It is common to ferrule these as 2 pc rods or potentially 3pc rods.  Either using fiberglass blank material as the spigot or aluminum sizematic (sp) ferrules.  Can you get into the butt section of the rod to insert a spigot or is it covered by the reel seat?

I would pop over to the fiberglass flyrodders forum and ask there.  These are sought after blanks in the fiberglass community (though not particularly valuable as far as blanks go).  Is this a yellow blank or a brown blank (I'm guessing yellow since it is a 1 piece)

Thanks for the information.  I tried to get the butt cap off by just pulling it and it is on solidly.  I didn't see an exposed fastener or some sort of dimple either so I think it's on solidly.  The blank is yellow.   Since it's only 7' long I'm thinking about using it as a 1 piece.  I'll be taping guides on it shortly and test casting to see what I think about it. 

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#5 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

If you can use a 7' 1pc, great.  I just built a 1pc spinfly (5ft) and it was too long.  I cut and feruled it after it was finished (though I hadn't sealed the end yet).  

You can always ferule it later.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users