Photo

Small Stream Rod

11 replies to this topic

#1 Afishianado

Afishianado
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

I've built 1 rod so far, a bass rod, and I'll probably make a couple more like it for practice and for others to use. Plus maybe a 4-5wt trout rod.

However, in the future I am looking to build a rod for fishing very small mountain streams. I'm looking for ideas about what would be best. These are extremely small, tight streams surrounded by mountain laurel, with small trout. I want something that will give me the most ability to cast and generally fish in those conditions. I don't need long casts at all but I want decent, fairly easy, ones between a lot of brush. I'm not set on speed, material, blank weight, line weight, etc.

I know Hardy has a 5' 2wt glass rod that looks neat and is supposed to be cast-able, but don't sell the blanks that I know of. I know Batson has a 5'6" 4 wt blank, but can't find any reviews. I'm not set on being under 6'6" but if it's possible it would be nice. If no my first thought is the 6'6" 3wt Lamiglas.

What are some things you guys have come up with? Also, anything in particular to think about as far as guides, seats, construction?

#2 Skiperie

Skiperie
  • Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

I would look into the Batson 6'6" I have built about 30 of them for clients to use in the same situation you are talking about ... I use either Recoil SF Guides or Pac Bay Minima 4 guides..

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have a 6 ft. tigereye, 2/3 wt. with a DT 2 wt. line. Love it! Throws tight loops.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#4 CBarclay

CBarclay
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

You can't go wrong with the Lami you mentioned. Glass is perfect for small water commando fishing.

#5 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

If you're looking for a 5 foot 2wt glass rod blank, I can help you out there. I have bought several of the Batson 1 pc /5 foot spinnng rod blanks and cut them and made spigot ferruels for them. Then, I wrapped the guides,mounted a seat,grip and went out and had fun.
All it takes is some time. I have a sticky on here on how to make the ferrules. I made 5 footers and aslso added 9 inches onto the butt section and made a 5'9" glass rod that kicks butt.
Now if you're looking for a nice 3wt/7 foot glass rod, I got a friend that builds blanks but you're looking at $100 +.

I've made a bunch of 6 and 6'6" rods from graphite and like them too. Dorber makes a number of small,short blanks to use.

Randy

#6 matt_a

matt_a
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

Welcome...

For a stream like you described, I don't think lenght matters that much...how much extra back cast does a 8 ft rod have that a 4 ft doesn't. NONE! The only time it comes into play is how low is the canopy above you is during bush wacking.

I'd focus on castability...some times shorter or slower rods need more line out to make them work. More line out = longer back cast = more headache in a "very small mountain streams" that are "extremely small, tight streams surrounded by mountain laurel, with small trout."

I've never fished tenkara stlye but it might be what your looking for. Just dabbing the water with a fly or extending over the edge of the bank without spooking the fish might be the ticket.

just my thoughts....once again, WELCOME!

Matt

Matt
Bamboo blanks, rods, & components
Check out my building apps and youtube channel

albaughcanerods.com
[email protected]

~Rise Above

#7 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Angler's Workshop Chalkstream Light rod blank of your length and line weight, slingshot or bow and arrow casts to keep out of the brush. Longest rod length you can stand will make a more universally servicable rod over time.
Fiberglass is also awesome here, made and pair of rods made on the Lamiglas 6 ft 6 in 3 wt, S glass, 6 piece blanks of yore, one fly, one spinning, my Dad loves them and willed back to me. The slower reaction times sure make many thing more possible to try in tight areas. My 5 ft 3 in., 1 to 4 lb., Fenglas rod was the spark for building these rods years later.

#8 Tex

Tex
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

I am building an RDP 7'6" 1wt. I'll let you know how that works in the next few weeks, if you're interested.

#9 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Tex

This thread is a little over a year and a half old. Don't look for an answer that quickly.

Randy

#10 Tex

Tex
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Bigdadyrods @ Mar 28 2014, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tex

This thread is a little over a year and a half old. Don't look for an answer that quickly.

Randy

This is the second time I have done that...I could have sworn it was at the top of the page yesterday when I clicked the link...I need to cut down on the caffein and look at the dates before I post

#11 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

I hate it when I do that. I'll be looking through some pages and then realize I'm looking at an old topic.

But while we're here....Tex, show us some pics of the RDP when you get it done and let us know how you like it.

I've built a zero wt for brookies that I like a lot.

I recently built a 3wt that I am donating to an auction for Project Healing Waters.

#12 Oldschoolcane

Oldschoolcane

oldschoolcane

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Everything related to bamboo rod building & restoration.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

If your considering a small stream rod, do it right the first time by using a glass blank.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users