Ideas for shorty 8wt flyrod for downunder

9 replies to this topic

#1 flyonline

flyonline
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hi all

I would like to have a crack at rolling my own fly rod to target our local native species down here, namely Murray Cod. Having targeted them on lures for a few years now, I want to have a go with the long (or short) wand. 90% of my fishing is done from a kayak or wading with the yak in overgrown and snag ridden small rivers so want to go small in length (7'0" - 8'0"). Weight wise, an 8/9 would probably be about right. 3pc would be best, but a 2pc would be ok.

These fish live right in/under the snags so require some decent pulling power to get them out as they are ambush predators. Having an 80cm/15kg (32"/25lb) fish only a body length away from a big fallen tree is a recipe for some backbone! Casting is not an issue, a 15m/45' cast is a long one, and turning over big bulky flies will be done with a bass bug type line.

I'm finding it difficult to find a blank in the short size at that weight (at least not without spending big $$), so was contemplating using a popping rod for the blank. For some reason, using non fly blanks for fly rods doesn't seem to happen down here but you guys seem to do it a bit. Something like a P843-MHX seems to be the ticket. Don't want to spend a lot of money given it will be my first build, and the conditions can be pretty brutal on equipment.

From what I've seen, it's not unlike fishing for pike except that these are smash and grab fish. There's no running or jumping involved, I always liken it to having a punch up in a phone booth - you're in it, or you're not and the first 30sec win it or lose it.

A vid from a guy down here doing a lot of fly fishing for cod

If anyone can point me in the right direction, particularly if you've built/used a similar rod I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Steve

#2 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Looked at the Batson ISP 843-3? Their products are down under.

#3 flyonline

flyonline
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Washougal @ Jun 11 2012, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looked at the Batson ISP 843-3? Their products are down under.

Can you point me in the right direction? A quick search showed a couple of places used to have them, but are no longer in business.

Cheers

Steve

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

That blank is way too stout for what he wants to do. I just finish building 2 SB 843-3's and they are really stout, probably closer to the upper part of the lure rating, which would make it the equivelent of about a 12 wt.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

Like the differences in power in the dropshot blanks from Batson, I seem to remember that the ISP was lighter powered ( 6 to 12 lb) than the SP blanks (8 to 14 lb) with the same power number, but I've been wrong before.

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

My bad. the P's are rated lighter than the B's, might just work out pretty good.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#7 NormGood

NormGood
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Some of the kayak guys used Samurai blanks ~7', but mainly in the 7wt category. Called Tom Thumbs. I guess you could go up a rating to get into cod country.

Or a Dorber blank 8ft 8wt

http://www.dorber.co...yrodblanks.html

There is no gravity, Earth Sucks

#8 flyonline

flyonline
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (NormGood @ Jun 22 2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of the kayak guys used Samurai blanks ~7', but mainly in the 7wt category. Called Tom Thumbs. I guess you could go up a rating to get into cod country.

Or a Dorber blank 8ft 8wt

http://www.dorber.co...yrodblanks.html

That samurai blank is what I will be getting though I've talked to a bloke that has one built into a 10wt, just waiting to get back from holidays to do an order thumbsup.gif

Steve

#9 taniwha

taniwha
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

If ever I saw a man in need of a fibreglass blank...

Not the cheapest option but as a pike nut, absolutely perfect for this use.  

Steffen, CTS or get an old warhorse from the auction site for chump change and rebuild it

#10 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Bamboo Fly Rod Making, Fly Rod Building, Fly Tying, Mountain Biking, Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Weight Lifting, Woodworking

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

That video is awesome!  So much fun.  Do you have to worry about crocodiles while fishing like this?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users