Photo

12'-13' Rods/blanks for light line

3 replies to this topic

#1 CMF

CMF
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

I am looking to potentially build a 12' or 13' rod for 3 weight or under line. The rod would need to be a full/flex, soft action rod, or at least a medium action. This would be for overhead casting, not spey. It would be used primarily for short line nymphing/high sticking. Do blanks/rods like this exist?

#2 Craig S

Craig S
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

I thought I replied to this yesterday, but apparently it didn't "take." There are a few threads on various rod-making forums that discuss long, light rods, which seem to be becoming rather popular for euro-nymphing, french-nymphing, czech-nymphing, or whatever it's called these days. You may want to look around at these threads (a couple of which are at this site). I'll offer my experience, which is with the inexpensive blanks from Angler's Roost Enterprise. They sell three blanks in the 10 to 12 foot range for 2 to 4 weight lines. I've bought and finished an 11-foot, 2/3-weight and a 10-foot, 3/4-weight Angler's Roost graphite blank. They also sell a 12-foot, 2/3-weight rod that I do not have. The 11-footer is very soft and is a specialty rod which I like for swinging soft hackles and the like. Not a dry fly rod by any stretch. The 10-footer has a bit more backbone and is a fun rod to fish. I use it for all sorts of fishing, although it's still a bit slow and long to be much fun when fishing dries. I have no idea what the 12-footer might be like. The A.R.E. blanks are very inexpensive, quite handsome (mahogany brown), and seem to be relatively well-made. So, nothing much is lost, even if you only chalk it up to a nice rod-building experience. Also, dealing with Johnny Kuehn (the owner of A.R.E.) via telephone is a hoot. He's a character of the first order.

There is another source of true "euro-nymphing" rods that I found. In fact, several of these blanks are designed specifically for this style of fishing. They are very intriguing and if you've got the bucks to back your passion, look at these:

http://www.davidnorw...tionEV2rods.htm

I almost ordered one of these, until I discovered that I was converting pounds to dollars backwards and the rod prices were much higher than I thought. They look great, but you can purchase 10 Anglers' Roost blanks for the price of one of these. You decide the relative economics.

#3 ThomasR

ThomasR
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

i think i have seen that Roger penrose on Ebay has something along those lines.

For what it's worth, i have fished the river Sorgue for a bit (the place french nymphing is supposed to be invented, who knows...) and the local guides seem to recommend 10' for a 4 or 5wt.
The reason might be that you get these massive mayfly hatches at times and that you should be able to switch styles, you could of course also take two rods for that.

Best regards,

Thomas

#4 Tex

Tex
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

I picked up a 12' 3wt from Anglers Roost. I am in the process of collecting the parts to make it a nymphing rig. They have quite a selection of sizes and lengths.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users